Light-O-Rama Forums

Remote Desktop Connection results in Demo Mode

Tim Benson

So I got tired of working on the small screen of the show laptop.
I set up Microsoft Remote Desktop from my Sequencing System with the big
monitor to the show laptop. Both have the advanced License Installed
V 2.4.10. Both Run Windows XP

The remote desktop comes up just fine and I can start the applications.
But they all come up in DEMO mode.

If I work on the laptop directly, all works fine, fully licensed
If I work on the sequencing system directly all works fine, fully licensed

Is this By design ? I use Remote Desktop all the time at work and have never
run into an issue like this.

Tim

Sounds like you are not logging into RDP with the same user account you are on the desktop, or that RDP is creating a seperate login so the session you access from the computer itself is different than when connecting via RDP.

If you are using the same username/password to connect over RDP I suggest rebooting the computer running the show and once its back up do NOT log in via the terminal, but log in via RDP first. Thats helped me to prevent a double login in the past.

Hope that makes sense! Merry Christmas

RDP always opens using a separate account even though your login and password are the same. If you notice the Desktop is not the same as the target machine's Desktop. It is NOT a true remote control program like pcAnywhere, LogMeIn and others. Therefore, some of the licenses and setttings you may have for programs on the target machine may not be transferred via a RDP logon. It all depends on how the target machine's various software packages "registers" their licenses.

I use RDP on one server at work because it's fast and I just need to access the servers maintenance, HDD status and settings areas. However, when I need to remotely control a machine, and I have about 10 that require this from time to time, I use pcAnywhere. It mirrors the remote desktop and operates as though I was sitting at that machine even though I may be half way around the world.

Of couse, none of these products operate in true "real" time. There are delays, some of which could be considerable. It all depending on network conjestion, so the visualizer section will probably never be able to keep up with the actual show. This could happen on your home network if another machine was downloading a Microsoft Update or if someone was playing an on-line game or surfing the web downloading complex web pages. Otherwise, editing and such should be fine.

use mstsc /console from the run prompt(dont use the remote desktop icon) and thaty way you will log into the console session of the running computer.. when you log in you should take over the screen that was active on the host machine...

also make sure you are logging in locally with the same account as you are logging in with remotely...

a lot of times when someone puts together a PC they have it set up to log in as administrator without a password etc....

I use "control userpasswords2" to set up a user account that logs in automatically whyen I turn my machine on and then when I Remote in using mstsc /console I always take over the active session....

-Christopher

I remote into my main PC using the free version of Log Me In - works great and allows me to log in from wherever i may be with work . Never been stuck with demo mode - all as per main PC.:cool:

George Cotton wrote:

RDP always opens using a separate account even though your login and password are the same.  If you notice the Desktop is not the same as the target machine's Desktop. 

That is not true on a workstation, only on servers and on 2003 and later you can use /console to go directly to the console. On a workstation, you will take over the existing console if you use the same user account that is currently logged in.