Light-O-Rama Forums

neighbors

RobDaddy

my dispaly this year was great and lots of traffic after a news papper did a story on it. now my ungratfull neighbors call the police and park all of there vehicles in the street just to cause friction, the thing is that there are so many cars that it does not effect anything. although they have kids that look out there window all night and listen to the show. I wish I can do something back?

The last thing you want to do is anything that could escalate the situation. How are the police treating the issue? Have they found anything to really give you a headache over, or are they just letting you know what is going on? If they aren't doing much, at some point they will likely start pushing back on what they probably view as nuisance complaints.

Also, if you think that there is any risk of the neighbors going to city council and seeking relief there, you might consider talking with one or more of the council members to both sell your side of the story first, and gauge how they feel about it. You might also consider designating a show charity, for which you are accepting donations. That way, efforts to shut you down are also efforts to deprive that charity of the donations you would be able to raise for them. And few people, especially elected officials want that kind of reputation.

-klb- wrote:

The last thing you want to do is anything that could escalate the situation.

I guess that rules out torching their garage then... bummer...

I agree that the best defense is a good offense. Find a sympathetic politician - ideally one who's up for re-election next year - and work that person. If you did not have a collection box this year, talk to the politico about what worthy cause he/she recommends. Mention how people across the country are raising funds for local charities with their synchronized displays and how much you want to do that in your town. While your lights are still up, invite a few local business people to check them out and see if you can get those folks to commit to a matching funds challenge for next year. The more weight you can bring to bear, both politically and economically, the better chance you have of prevailing, especially in an election year. And if all else fails, then look again at their garages...

Great ideas that I had not thought of. Thanks a lot. Both complaints were filed as unfounded from the police. One was for loud noise and the other was illigal parking. I'm glad the police have common sense, after all it's not like I'm trowing a party, it's Christmas, and only a few days left.