Light-O-Rama Forums

Checking Lights

Gilford

I do it using my opening sequence. It's programmed to light everything up within the first 60 seconds so I can do a quick check every night. I suppose you could use the hardware utility but to me that would be a bit too cumbersome with 300+ channels.

I have a Bulb Test sequence which I run (using the "Loop at End" option) which turns on several channels simultaneously for .5 second, and groups of channels continue from left to right in the display. Covers the whole display in one minute. Usually takes me 10 minutes to check everything and make adjustments, once a week.

I have a number of test sequences I use, but they typically only get run at the beginning of the season to verify setup. After that, I just watch the show and make notes. Then I flip on the affected channels with the hardware utility after-hours to do diagnostics... I don't have channels that are rarely used though (they all get used in almost every sequence) so it's easy to eyeball it.

I recorded myself saying the name of the channel and then a description of what it controls. Example, "2.16, bathroom wreath". Then I created a musical sequence, timing the channel to come on when I announced it. This way I can verify that I've got the correct lights string(s) connected to the correct channel, and I can check bulbs.

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

I recorded myself saying the name of the channel and then a description of what it controls. Example, "2.16, bathroom wreath". Then I created a musical sequence, timing the channel to come on when I announced it. This way I can verify that I've got the correct lights string(s) connected to the correct channel, and I can check bulbs.

Bathroom wreath, eh? :dude:

Tim Fischer wrote:

WhitePlainsNY wrote:

Bathroom wreath, eh? :dude:

...outside of the 2nd floor bathroom window. I've not (yet) completely lost my mind and LOR'd the inside of my bathroom! ;)

if i'm in the hw utility and select controller 1 and all on, and then select controller 2 and all on they all will stay on, and if you fiddle with it you can even set various intensities and chases on all the channels at once

I use the hardware utility and my 6 year old son. He turns on a controller and I look over every bulb. I hold up hand signals for controller number, point up or down if I want it on or off. It takes me less then 15 minutes to go over 8 controllers. I replace about 2 to 6 bulbs evertime I check.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I also use one of my kids and a set of hand held walkie talkies, i thought it worked good till now. I'm going to make a check lights sequence and use my voice. I really like the idea. Im ad to be taking down, and yes i haven't taken down yet, I hurt my knee at work and waiting till it feels a little better.

Ralph, I am just asking. Does your kid balk at helping? If not, leave him or her helping you. I think you are making memories with your child. But if they are bored and it is more like work to them. Then I understand your desire to make a talking seq.

Sometimes I wished someone had said something like this to me. Found out later what little things that dad and his daughters did together was later a fond memory for them.

Max-Paul wrote:

Ralph, I am just asking. Does your kid balk at helping? If not, leave him or her helping you. I think you are making memories with your child. But if they are bored and it is more like work to them. Then I understand your desire to make a talking seq.

Sometimes I wished someone had said something like this to me. Found out later what little things that dad and his daughters did together was later a fond memory for them.

Funny, how the simplest things we did with dad, became our fondest memories!

I agree with Max-Paul...if you child isn't complaining about helping you, let them. Even if it takes you a little longer, chances are your child is enjoying helping dad (or mom) out. You can rest assured that if he/she isn't enjoying helping you...you'd hear about it (over and over and over).

Like previously mentioned...some of the simplest tasks spent with my dad created my most fond memories.

(By the way...thanks for helping me remember this. I need to try harder to include my children in my tasks.)

Kevin

I have three Girls. 21/19/16. they are not little anymore, and for me and them, I think I'm way past the I do stuff with dad because he's cool. for anyone that has children and has been graced by god with them, knows what I'm saying. don't get me wrong oh they love it when its done....LOL and they all lend a hand in between there collage's and there work, I'm really blessed. I have never told them they had to do this with me....... Ok lets get this right ....I might have hinted, I'd like a hand in certain times, but I always gleam with Joy when they wanted to lend a hand from there own thoughts. I already have over 21 years of memories with my kids.......Christmas lights are only one small peace of our times together. I will admit to me.....these memories are some of the fondest.

Remember why we all do this...."The children" the smiles, the sprite of Christmas, doing something for someone who might not be able to. and lastly "for me".....HOPE for a brighter tomorrow!

when your kids start getting a little older you learn to love those little memories even more because they "are" growing up.

I could go on but I'm going to leave it at that.

Ok i want to add one more thing. I agree with everyone's thoughts,

When kids were younger .... and now, are very much into lending a hand and its a special feeling I get. I know they will remember those times. I want to say this, its very cool because they have each taken there own favorite parts of the display element's to make there own, example....My youngest Samantha loves doing the border lights and fixing all the lights during the off season with me and she is the one when i dress up as santa she loves being my elf and gets dressed up as well. My middle...Alisha likes setting up the Driveway arches and my huge all Red Tree,,,,,and Tiffany my oldest her thing is the mega tree.....LOL thank god for that!

so I agree I let them do what they like to do, so they keep loving it and they all feel they have something to connect with me and me with them......I have to say IT'S REALLY SOMETHING.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I found the easiest way to checks lights is hand my kid a few bucks and say "Will you check my lights please?"

Ralph, I tried to convey I had no idea if your kids liked to help or not. And I can see that your daughters are at an age that they are starting to have their own lifes and all of the running around that comes with it. I dont know what posessed me to write what I did. Maybe thinking it might have some positive effect on someones life. I can see now why you are more than likely going to need to make a test / talking seq. for your use.

Thanks for being my sounding board. Seems that maybe someone heard something that he needed to hear. Glad it might be of use to someone. Regrets are hard things to live with as I am now doing...

I usE VNC on the laptop to control the show PC.
I use the hardware utility to turn on each channel and verify where it is.
Takes a few hours