Light-O-Rama Forums

Cold weather blues

Brian Mitchell

Having our second night of single digit temps and I've noticed a few things in the yard are effected. The hand on my dancing Santa went out again....I just fixed him the other day (loose bulb) and one controller is behaving the way Wayne Kremer was describing one a while ago. Whenever more than 8 channels turn on at once on the controller, it goes out. Fortunately, I won't need a ladder to go out and reset it tomorrow. Also the motors on reindeer are freezing up. It's way too cold to try and repair tonight even though I've had two busses visit the display.

Did you read my posts about the cold we had up here? Be thankful it is single digit and not double digit.

We set record lows last weekend. (-46.1C) or (-49.0F). the coldest place in the world. Then we had nearly the same temperature the next night, and were the 2nd coldest temp in the world and only Dzlinda, Siberia was colder.

Do you fill warmer now?

My controllers actually worked.

So Lor controllers work beyond (-40F)

Brian,

That's exactly the same problem I've had with one controller. I called LOR and talked to Dan and he said it is likely a weak voltage regulator. Make sure you mark the controller if you're planning on sending it in for repair after the lighting season ends because he told me that they can't recreate that problem in the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

And that's why I'm thankful I'm in the Pacific Northwest. Yeah we have our share of cold and rain but, it doesn't last. It's just the icky rain we have to put up with. Thankfully my Controllers don't mind the rain in their little shelters.

Pretty soon we'll have to have heaters in our props just to keep everything going... :D

Sorry your having so many problems Brian, nothing worse than props that don't work in the cold...

Evan