Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about blow-ups

Grawolph

Got a quick question for all you decorating gurus out there. I had a quick thought this year that I would take my blowups, when I tear down this year, and separate the lights in them from the blower motors. This way, I could use one channel of my controllers to turn on and leave on the blowers (and motors for deer, etc.) and then use another one to control the lights inside of them. Has anyone done this? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard, but I haven't seen it done anywhere and am wondering if I'm asking for trouble.

I'm thinking this way I could "pulse" the lights inside my snowman when Frosty was singing, or the one's inside of Santa when he was. Just a thought....

• 1 month later...

testraub wrote:

Why not just run the air and motors "static? Then your not using a channel.

And I think, There is an issue with LOR and motors. This isn't my area of knowledge, so I'm sure someone will come by and correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember reading, you don't want to put motors on LOR, due to the type of power.

To you can separate to lights and motors, but only have the lights plugged into LOR, and all the other motors on a more standard static timer.

Grawolph wrote:

Got a quick question for all you decorating gurus out there. I had a quick thought this year that I would take my blowups, when I tear down this year, and separate the lights in them from the blower motors. This way, I could use one channel of my controllers to turn on and leave on the blowers (and motors for deer, etc.) and then use another one to control the lights inside of them. Has anyone done this? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard, but I haven't seen it done anywhere and am wondering if I'm asking for trouble.

I'm thinking this way I could "pulse" the lights inside my snowman when Frosty was singing, or the one's inside of Santa when he was. Just a thought....

Yes, I do this. For Halloween, I control a gargoyle fan and light independently. He blows up light off with strobe lighting. After his main appearance, the inside light shimmers with his growls. In the musical sequence, eventually he gets "destroyed," and he falls over with the light blinking during his "death." You can see him at the 13 minute mark.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum83/21846.html

I actually cheated and didn't truly separate the wires. Instead, I just removed all the bulbs from the fan circuit and added a strand of C7s to him.