Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you know....

blainedead

How do you know if people really like your show?

Is it when you look out your front door and see a BUS in front of your house? Seriously, a bus!!! My kids ran into my room screaming, "There's a bus out front!"

This is my 5th year animated, and I knew a lot of people had been by, but wow, a busload?

Sorry if it seems like I'm tooting my own horn, but that is just really cool!!!:cool:

I was really suprised the first time I had a bus stop at our house too, but now it's a regular event each year as the bus comes around a couple nights with residents from the local retirement homes and then a public bus tour called the Holly Jolly Trolley Tour comes around a few days before Christmas.

One time a big tour bus stopped and watched but noone got out.

I remember my first bus, and I felt just like you did. In fact, I posted a "toot my own horn" just like this one on PC back then :)

I was told to enjoy it while the feeling lasts, because I would eventually grow weary of them. And I did :) They're big, and loud, and block the road, sometimes people are allowed to get out and walk all over the neighbors yards trying to get pictures...

But I do understand how cool it is to get your first bus. Congrats!

When you walk out the front door and they start cheering!

We have a private Trolley here in the county. They come out with their Christmas light tour. Funny they make money off or my display but it is nice to see them.

A bus is a sure sign that someone has found you so get ready. Each one of the people on the bus has family and chances are the will be back, WITH CARS!

When they actually watch the whole show. My show isn't very long but people always come up when Away in a Manger by John Berry is on and leave before it is over. There are faster more animated songs there if people would just sit still for a few minutes. So when someone sits through even the slow songs I know they like it.

When Brad Pitt comes to my house or Shawnia Twain comes to view the display then I will know my house is now famous and that folks like it.

The years before when I was static were better than after I became animated.

There is one way that lets me know that folks like the display I put up. I know by the steady increase in houses beginning to decorate. I have been faithful at decorating my house since we moved in 9 years ago, and our house won the decorating contest 2 years in a row before they stopped the the contest.

After they stopped the contest people stopped decorating but I kept going because I like to decorate and I like to bring a ray of hope, a smile, some joy to people.

I had people come and say "will this is your fault now that I have lights on my house", another said "you really inspired my children and they began to decorate the outside"

Our street is beginning to look like Santa Clause Lane.

The truth is our village is just a hiccup in the country and only the villagers look at the lights.

So no buses, no limos will come 100kms from the city.

The family display will always be a village pleaser.

blainedead wrote:

When you have 10 kids sitting on the street curb in 20 degree weather, and when the skit comes on at the end of the show, they are able to recite it out loud word for word because their parents have brought them back to see it so many times...

lightzilla wrote:

There is one way that lets me know that folks like the display I put up. I know by the steady increase in houses beginning to decorate.

Yeah. When I moved in to my neighborhood, no one decorated at all. Gradually, others started until now there are only a couple of houses that don't have at least a little something. I don't know if was the spread of Christmas cheer or just old-fashioned peer pressure. ;) Either way, the place is much more Christmas-y now, and I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

jimswinder wrote:

blainedead wrote:

When you have 10 kids sitting on the street curb in 20 degree weather, and when the skit comes on at the end of the show, they are able to recite it out loud word for word because their parents have brought them back to see it so many times...

Ditto on your description with the exception that the kids are doing our dance routine step for step.

It's just too cool!

Charles

I think a good way to tell is when you overhear people standing at the donation box comparing notes on how often they've been by to see the show.

lightzilla wrote:

There is one way that lets me know that folks like the display I put up. I know by the steady increase in houses beginning to decorate. I have been faithful at decorating my house since we moved in 9 years ago, and our house won the decorating contest 2 years in a row before they stopped the the contest.

After they stopped the contest people stopped decorating but I kept going because I like to decorate and I like to bring a ray of hope, a smile, some joy to people.

Funny because I started doing the decorating because they stopped the annual contest a few years back and then back in 2007 there were only about 6 houses here that put up any lights at all.

It seemed like everybody had lost interest in the holiday decorating and just didn't want to bother with it anymore. I was having a bad year in 2008 with a couple accidents and while recouping decided that it was time to renew things a little and do something crazy to show people that we needed to get back into it.

I set up my first display in 2008 and only got a couple dozen cars the whole month it was up, but people around here stopped me around town and told me how much it brightened up things because I had done it.

This year I have had a dozen cars a night most everynight and the town has started the annual decorating contest back up. There are a couple dozen houses this year that have put up lights and I have gotten a lot of Thank You's and notes from people telling me how much they liked the show.

It has put a little Christmas spirit back into the town for the season.

For me, it's when you run into people in July and they tell you how much they enjoy your display, or tell you in September that they are looking forward to it. It feels good to know that it stuck in their heads all that long, must have made an impression :)

When you drive home from work and see the senior citizens bus parked out front, the business card from the local newspaper stuck in your door to call them or your kid's school teacher sends home a personal note with your son about how much she enjoyed the lights.

Most of all, when your son says to you, "Dad I hope you never get too old not to do Christmas lights"

I post an email address on my sign for my FM frequency AND announce 'send comments and suggestions to....' in my intro. I don't get a lot of emails, but, the ones I do are REALLY appreciative. I also do get cheers when I pull in the driveway or come outside...

The only people that aren't appreciative in my neighborhood are my grinchy neighbors who don't like the traffic. There's always one right?

Merry Christmas!

This was my first year with LOR and I was wondering the same thing, "do people like the display/show?"

But with a mother who brought her daughter almost every night, to the subdivision decorating more than they ever have to try to keep up with me:), to coming home and having a bus full of children out front and cheering, I would have to say that people loved my display/show and its amazing how fast word get out.

We had one person that would come by and stop for at least one or two shows every night. My daughter dubbed him our house stalker.