Light-O-Rama Forums

12 AWG extension cords What Amps???

Guest guest

Trying to buy 12 AWG extension cords.

I have noticed most are rated @ 15 amps.

Will they be large enough for the 20 AMP fuses on the 16

channel deluxe boards? Thanks to all for the great info on these

discussion boards!!

Newbie from Ohio :happytree:

Harbs wrote:

Trying to buy 12 AWG extension cords.

I have noticed most are rated @ 15 amps.

Will they be large enough for the 20 AMP fuses on the 16

channel deluxe boards? Thanks to all for the great info on these

discussion boards!!

Newbie from Ohio :happytree:

http://planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm

Take a look at the above site. It will give you a good idea about power cords and needs.

That said, I don't think you want to run 20amps over a 12 AWG cord.

Thanks Don for your help!

I agree that 20 amps may may too much.

I was mainly thinking of using 12 guage cords for my power cord to the

boards. Was going to cut off the female ends. My light display will be

very modest compared to most displays that I have seen on the net.

Thus I should be under the 20 amps. I will pay special attention to be sure

the amps do not exceed 15-18.

#12 wire should be able to handle 20 amps (you need to watch the length though since at that level you will get significant voltage drop (3 to 4 volts at 50ft).

The extension cord is rated at 15 amps because that is the type of plug attached to it most likely.

In your home, #12 wire is used for recepticals and these are fused at 20amps.

Your 12 gauge wire is suited as stated by kb9nvh. The plugs that come on the typical extension cord will have only rated 15 amp plugs. The higher grade construction heavy duty cords will be rated at 20 amps with the 20 amp plugs attached. The same wire is used on these as for the 15 amp. Look at the wattage rating and you will see the same rate with the amps. You just will need a dedicated outlets that can handle 20 amps. Most homes only have 15 amp rated outlets, plus they are tied into other outlets. I have mine marked as 20 amps and these outlets are staged under the eves of the roof, just for Christmas. I used the 15 amp plugs, but have them marked at 20 amps. This is for personal use only. (I would not recommend this to anyone that does not have complete control of these outlets and controllers). I doubt at anytime I would ever be peaking at 20 amps on any of my controllers. I purchase a 100' 12 gauge construction cord and cut it in various lengths for my controllers. At the prices today, it is much cheaper to buy extension cords instead of wire by the foot. This cord average out at $0.50 / foot plus a plug on each end. With 5 extra plugs and the extension cord my cost per foot came to $0.65 / foot. I was able to make enough supply cords for three controllers.

Attached files 61452=3724-Controller-sm.jpg