Light-O-Rama Forums

TSO songs on YouTube

stanward

Why are there some people who can upload their TSO sequences onto Youtube and not get theirs pulled off.

I upload mine and they are pulled off within minutes after completing the upload.

stanward wrote:

Why are there some people who can upload their TSO sequences onto Youtube and not get theirs pulled off.

I upload mine and they are pulled off within minutes after completing the upload.

I don't know about other people, but a couple years ago, I got persmission from TSO to use songs and post the video. YouTube originally stopped the publishing until I sent them an email to show I had permission. It was then activated in about 24 hours. To add insult, they pulled one of my own Pink Floyd songs until I slapped them around a little and insult their ignorance.

Content is blocked by automatically analyzing the audio (and some video) to see if the signature matches something in a large database of content signatures. The long delay that occurs after uploading is to give time for this to occur and to re-compress a video.

I got so frustrated with those people that I stopped posting files to YouTube and started using other services with higher definition that don't audit the uploads in this manner. Many sites do.

My advice... give YouTube the kissoff and go somewhere else to post.

I read that WMG and YouTube came to an agreement at the end of September, and that WMG artists (like TSO) will once again be allowed on YouTube, possibly before the end of December.

It's still kind of strange, though. It's not that hard to find videos up with supposedly banned music. My audio was initially blocked, but I filed a dispute citing fair use. The main points I gave were that it was not being used for profit, it was only a small portion of their total body of work and that it would in no way diminish their ability to make money from their work. I also credited the artist, and legally paid for the music. So far, my video seems to be playing with sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Slf1nxw-zY

Hopefully, they'll stop blocking within the next week or so.

mwilliams wrote:

My audio was initially blocked, but I filed a dispute citing fair use. The main points I gave were that it was not being used for profit ...

They probably will (or have already) allow your songs due to your reply and asking for the posting. It seems that sometimes they allow a posting when people pressure them. God only knows what their criteria is for that. If they do, I doubt that citing "Fair Use" or "not for profit" is the reason. Having been in the music business long ago, I can tell you that you don't have the right to use copyrighted music just because you don't make a profit or want fair use.

One thing to keep in mind is just because YouTube or other sites might eventually allow you to post the songs, it doesn't mean you have industry approval to do it. ASCAP (we call them ASCRAP) or producers can still come after you. The fines are steep. However, in reality, there is a greater probability of lightning striking your megatree than it is for a music attorney to knock on your door.