Light-O-Rama Forums

Light String Trouble Shooting Tips?

JDM_

Hello LOR Peeps...

This is my first year doing a LOR display and after a few days of dealing with some glitches and growing pains our display is finally up and going.

It is awesome!!!

However I do have one issue that needs to be fixed.

I have a 2' section of my ice sickles that has gone out :X
I was wondering if anyone had some troubleshooting tis. I'm pretty green at these kinds of things and any help will be appreciated. They are indoor/outdoor mini lights (ice sickles) that are designed that if one bulb goes out the whole string doesn't go out.

I have already giggled the string and bulbs that are out. I was hoping there was a proven strategy for trouble shooting this kind of issue. :dude:

I take a known working blub out of a working segment. Then start taking bulbs one at a time from the non-working segment and insert into the working one I removed. If the bulb lights up the working segment, then I put it back. If it does not, then I replace that bulb. If the segment is fixed then I'm done, otherwise I move to the next bulb until I've finished the non-working segment.

Slow, tedious and sometimes it's easier to just replace the segment if you have a spare strand of lights.

Howard

basis21b wrote:

Get a Light Keeper Pro.

Without a doubt, the best light repair device that's ever been invented...

George Simmons wrote:

basis21b wrote:
Get a Light Keeper Pro.

Without a doubt, the best light repair device that's ever been invented...

I'll second that - fixed 3 deer in under 30 seconds!

I will second the light keeper pro is very good. But it does not fix them all. If I have string that will not work I will use a voltage tic and run the drops up and down to see if I can find the point there is no signal and then I will usually unplug the set and reverse the plug and plug it back in and the tic should work from the other side of the string and I follow it untill it stops and hopefully that is at the same point it stopped from the other direction. Normally for me this works pretty quick. But if by chance your string has a couple of problems this lets you know right away.

Wayne

A $150.00! :)

It is a box that puts 5,000 volts through your light string! The bad bulb will buzz or it will re-weld the stunt and your lights come on instantly.

I forget where I purchased mine but I sure some old timer around here may have a link or two where they can be purchased.

I have the light keeper pro for the last year and half and am not that impressed with it. I'm more interested in this buzz box. I'll be happy to pay 150$ for it if it does what Robin say's it will, I loss that if not more in lights each year. If any one can tell me how to get one, please let me know.

Robin is on the mark (as usual! :()

The buzz box is an absolutely indespensible item for a large display!

I believe Christmas Does Bright still sells these.

Lori's also used to sell these as well.

This will pay for itself in very little time with the amount of time it saves you in troubleshooting issues, something that most of us don't like doing!

Greg

I also have a LK Pro, for portable use, but it certainly is not as reliable in fixing all of the light-out problems you will encounter as the buzz box.

I have not had the need to try it on any LEDs to date. I doubt it would work as there is no shunt to fuse.

On the other hand with the high voltage the box uses, it could fuse the diode element,which might also affect the functioning LEDs!

If someone has a faulty LED string and a buzz box, why don't they try it and let us know?

Greg

Robin

Thanks for the website. I think your about an hour and a half south of me, between christmas and new year me and the wife are going to try to get down your way and see your lights, I've been to your web site and this is something I've got to see!!!!

If you want to fry your whole string of LED lights, then use a Buzz Box.

You will have a string of what is called "The walking Wounded"

• 2 weeks later...

Denis and Nova.
The man was not talking about LED lights. Therefore, I gave him the best tester period. It not only beats the Light Keeper Pro it makes it look like a toy when testing and fixing a string of lights. I have fixed many strings of lights in three seconds or less with the buzz box.

Had he indicated that he wanted help with LED lights I would have been honest with him.

Interesting to note that neither of you mentioned that the LKP will do the same exact thing to LED lights. It has the ability to make repairs to the shunt by increasing the voltage and welding it back together. Either tester will mess up LED lights. If you have LED lights with a section out and the LED cannot be replaced then you are pretty much sunk on that section.