Light-O-Rama Forums

Schedule Editor Illegal Operation over over over o.....

Mark Matteson

I've had this problem with all versions of LOR Schedule Editor and have gotten used to it, I guess, but now that I have some time I'll look for an answer:

After editing a show time or file etc. in SE I'll click on the "OK" button to approve the change for each day, and half the time an error window pops-up telling me "This program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down". So I lose the last changes since "Save", SE closes, and I restart it and continue. I've learned to SAVE every time I complete an edit successfully, because the next time it usually bombs.

As I mentioned, this has always happened for 4 years on all versions (yes, I'm too patient. Almost a potted plant!! Christmas cactus...), so I can't be alone, but I did some searchs and found no record of this error in the forum...??

My OS is Win98/SP2, WMP 10.0, LOR v2.6.0

thx for the help

Has this always been on the same computer?

You mentioned that your OS is Windows 98. I am guessing that it is actually 98 SE, but I just want to make sure.

Does Windows Update show any available updates?

Thanks for the quick replies Bob!

To answer: By which I mean, I would need a pretty good reason to go to the trouble of 1) obtaining and setting up either a wireless or wired connection to the PC out in the garage, 2) upgrading the PC's ancient browser to connect to the internet, 3) obtaining and loading an anti-virus app, since it has none (cleaning-out an infected PC is a bitc*) and 4) investing the time and sanity to deal with all the other unforeseen inevitable snags, bugs, gotchas and BS that saturate the PC world.

So now that I've talked myself into it, what do you see the above hassle getting me in the end, since I hear win98 is no longer supported by Microsoft?

thx

I ran a Win98SE show computer for 6 years. Like you, I just got used to the "illegal operation" crashes, and just made sure I hit save often.

This year I'm using an XP machine and have not seen the crash.

There's evidently something awry with Win98SE and the scheduler. I'm pretty sure I reported this back in the very early days of LOR, but it's never gone away, even in the switch to S2...

So now that I've talked myself into it, what do you see the above hassle getting me in the end, since I hear win98 is no longer supported by Microsoft?

Well, I can't promise that it would get you anything in the end, and it's just a shot in the dark. However, I believe that "Windows 98 is no longer supported by Microsoft" simply means that they've stopped creating new updates for it, not that you can no longer download existing updates for it.