Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange issues with my show

blainedead

I have been having this issue all season. Nearly every night, the lights stop working, but the music keeps right on playing. I have seen the 'formhook' message before, but not since upgrading to 2.6.2. Nothing odd in the log, verifier doesn't show any issues.

The way i have been fixing it is by rebooting the computer, and have gone so far as to reboot prior to each show just to prevent it. I read about disconnecting/reconnecting the usb adapter, and will try that tomorrow. Tonight I noticed that the red light on the controller that stays in the garage was blinking, so I assume its some kind of communication issue. Nothing really has changed since last year except for the software upgrades.

Any suggestions?

I agree with klb. Not having a filtered USB cable gave me the same symptoms you're having. One way I tested for this was by unplugging my USB cable then reconnecting it. Everything would then seem to reset. So you're on the right path of it being a communication problem.

This might not be your problem...but if you do not have a filtered cable...I'd start there.

Kevin

blainedead wrote:

No, I don't have a filtered cable. I read that in some other threads, and was leaning towards that as a next step. Is that something I can pick up locally? Radio Shack, maybe?

Yes, you should be able to get them most anywhere. In many cases, simply a good quality shielded cable does the trick. Most cables supplied with equipment these days are inexpensive pieces of jump with no shielding. Don't make it any longer than neceessary.

Optionally, some Radio Shack stores also sell the clamp-on ferrite beads when I have seen to help this issue in several cases. Clamp it at the end nearest where it plugs in the computer.

You should be able to find ones with some level of filtering locally. The ones that LOR is selling have three large ferrites, about 1.5 inches long, and 1/2 inch in diameter, with the cable looped on each to pass through the core twice, which is a lot more than I have seen anywhere else.