Light-O-Rama Forums

USB-RS485 driver

Traffic

I am in the process of moving my Light-O-Rama software to a different laptop and upon plugging the USB-RS485 into the usb port on the laptop, Windows 7 says it cannot find the driver for the device. I have not yet installed the Light-O-Rama software on the laptop. Does installing the software also install the driver. I do not want to waste one of my licenses if it will not work on the laptop. I cannot find the drive on Light-O-Rama site.

1) No valid LOR user should ever worry about 'wasting' a license. Email support@lightorama.com if you run into a problem. (Yes, I know it needs an unregister feature)

2) I found the following information from here:
http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/RS485_Adapter_Troubleshooting.pd f (PAGE 8)

Troubleshooting SC485, USB485 and USB485B Problems
Page 10
Installing/Re-installing the USB Adapter Device Driver Software
Make sure the USB adapter is NOT plugged into the PC before starting these procedures.
Vista Install
For Windows Vista, download and run this installation program:
www.lightorama.com/downloads/CDM_2.02.04.exe
When the installation program completes, plug the USB485 or USB485B adapter into the
computer. The first time you do this, Windows plug-n-play will install the driver software modules,
this may take a minute because two drivers must be installed. After the installation by Windows
has completed, you can use the procedure described earlier in this document to find the port.
Windows XP Install
For Windows XP, download and run this installation program:
www.lightorama.com/downloads/CDM_2.02.04.exe
[Older version, XP] If the above version does not work on your XP machine, download and run
this installation program:
www.lightorama.com/downloads/CDM_Setup.exe
When the installation program completes, plug the USB485 or USB485B adapter into the
computer. The first time you do this, Windows plug-n-play will install the driver software modules,
this may take a minute because two drivers must be installed. After the installation by Windows
has completed, you can use the procedure described earlier in this document to find the port.

Since Windows 7 isn't officially supported by LOR, you are on your own. Many people (myself included) have tested it, and reported no problems.

The information above should be accurate. I suspect someone will speak up if LOR has put out newer information.

• 1 year later...
2) I found the following information from here:
[Older version, XP] If the above version does not work on your XP machine, download and run
this installation program:
http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/CDM_Setup.exe

I know this thread is two years old, but it was immensely useful to me today. I could not find the old XP driver anywhere, but this pointed me right to it!

Thanks, Don!

There are quite a few people running into USB485 driver problems each season, or really, all year 'round so this thread being bumped is always a good idea.. actually..

Hey Mods, can this get Sticky'd (if it isnt already) ??