Light-O-Rama Forums

peppermint wheels

mill4011

I'm thinking of doing a peppermint wheel, roughly 4 to 6 feet tall. Alternating red and white strands of lights. If I use a 4 foot wheel and made 8 equal spaces I'd be roughly 18.84 inches apart at the outer circle ( gonna need a math dude to actual verify I did that right ) Would eight be enough or 16. I know in LOR 8 or 16 is the magic number. Although I think I might just run the white on one channel and the red on another, but I'm sure down the line I'd hate myself for doing it cause of the limitations. Do it right the first time, right??? Anyone have any thaught or ideas to go along with this idea. Or does anyone have something similar.

Next time you're going past one, stop in and check out the individual 3' lighted candy canes at Walmart. They have two flavors - white with red stripes and red with white stripes. I picked up a couple dozen of them last January and they make great pinwheel spinners.

george, don't think I'm quite following you with the candy canes. What I was describing and trying to do is circular peppermints with lights going around in a circular motion in alternating red/white with like a 16 channel controller to make it "spin " Hopefully this is a little bit more information. I am interested in how you use the candy canes though.

I've got a dozen pinwheel spinners (I'm still searching for the most appropriate name) scattered over both yards that all use six channels. That's why the opposing canes are plugged together. (Sharp eyes, Nova) But I'm planning on making a few more of the candy cane models after this season and will be using twelve channels for them. Yes, it definitely allows for some interesting programming options.

Guest wbottomley

George, very nice. I like those things. They make a display look great.

We need some video and pictures of your display this year.

Here's the wiring from the huge snowflake/spinner:

DSC01541.jpg

Man, did this sucker take some time to wire up.

Mountainwxman wrote:

George, very nice. I like those things. They make a display look great.

We need some video and pictures of your display this year.

Ask and ye shall receive...

Except I need to wait for the weather to warm up a bit for the video. Finally got a digital video camera and the book says it doesn't like weather below freezing. Well, right now it's below zero so I'm guessing the camera would go absolutely apoplectic in this...

I know what you're saying about the wiring for the snowflake (I call mine a Robin Wheel in tribute to its creator). Sharon thought I'd lost my mind when I first showed Robin's picture to her last spring and casually mentioned it would burn 24 channels, but now she thinks it is the coolest element of the display. (Not to mention the heaviest.) I did mine in LED blue and it's probably visible from orbit. But it is one cool sucker to program, isn't it?

Definitely not like the old days... I still remember the simplicity of plugging things in until the breaker popped, then backing off the last two things I plugged in and then moving on to the next circuit and repeating the process... but this is sure a lot more fun.

Mountainwxman any chance of you uploading video of your snowflake spinner. Bhays the fountain is crazy. thanks for the video. I might be there in couple more years. still getting down the basics. definately giving Vegas a run for it's money

Bhays,

Great job on the fountain and even a better picture of the wiring.

How many of us have a similar bag of worms in our yard..... raise your hand!

OK, now that everyone here raised their hand. LOL!:)

I just love this madness! It never fails to bring a smile to my face!

bhays!!!

I'm not helping the hijack ethic. I'd been considering leaping arches and they are cool but I had no good place to put them. And so de rigeuer.

But now I HAVE to do something like this.