Light-O-Rama Forums

GFI Sale at Menards

brownjm74

For those of you who are looking to upgrade your electrical Menards has 20A GFI for $4.99 !!! Now these will only work if you are doing the work yourself. They will NOT pass the new NEC code. So if your going to have the work inspected then sorry.

According to the 2008 NEC (National Electrical Code) all outlets have to be Tamper Resistant, Child Safety outlets in new residential construction. Now it all depends on your City, Township, or County if they are using the 2008 code yet. Where I live the are still using the 2005 code. Here is a picture of the new outlets. The only difference is the "little flaps" on the new ones. With these new ones, you can't put a screwdriver, finger, etc in just one side.

Attached files 191066=10722-black_gloss_gfci__receptacles.jpg

Also, if they are outside, they need to be weather resistant too... (So both tamper and weather resistant)

I got dinged by the inspector for using the “Sale” ones and had to go get the proper ones. Menard’s only had 15 amp GFIC, Weather and tamper resistant outlets, so I had to go to Home Depot (3 different stores to get enough outlets :P ) to get them.

Hypothetical question:
If I put my finger / key / screwdriver into a GFCI, unless I am connected to the neutral, shouldn’t I trip the GFI? Do I really need tamper resistant too?

…Also, don’t forget about the bubble covers, the old “doors” no longer pass either. :D

Attached files 191088=10723-100_0246.JPG

Seems like it's getting a little much to be honest. Like you said, do you really need guards *IN* the outlet to make sure you don't put something in there? Honestly... I remember getting WHACKED by 120v when I was a kid playing around with an outlet... I learned and never did that again(at least until I was older!). :P

-Jeff