Light-O-Rama Forums

Help getting started with X10

ShowProKevin

I just need a pointer in the right direction here.

What I want to do is control a few things with X10 such as my FM transmitter, outdoor speakers, radio sign, etc. Just a few things that I dont want to control with LOR boxes. I was also thinking about turning the static display (in the back yard) on and off with X10 using LOR.

So what would would I need to buy to do this? Keep in mind I have never owned or used x10 equipment, nor do I know just how it works.

Edit: spelling.

You will need an X10 interface ~ CM11a.

If your computer does not have a serial out, you will need to get a usb to serial adapter. I got one from feebay and could not get it to work. Some have had success with the cable from Radio Shack.

You will need some sort of X10 device. These can be either stand alone modules (I would suggest appliance modules over lamp modules as they handle more amps). You could also get some super sockets. These are X1 equipped electrical outlets were the top outlet is controlled via X10 and the bottom outlets works like a regular outlet.

Understand the X10 is an old technology and can be very frustrating. Since it uses your existing electrical system to carry the signal, any noise in your electrical system can cause signals to get lost or sucked up. Surge suppressors, UPS devices, induction motors (fridge/freezer), fluorescent ballasts (including CFL), even video projectors (just had this issue) are known signal killers. You can buy filters for these devices. It is also not uncommon for the signal to not cross over to the other phase. There are devices to help with this.

I am not trying to scare you away from X10. It could be a very easy plug and play solution for you. On the other hand, it could be a nightmare trying to figure out.

I would suggest you read through some X10 forums. PC has one, as to remotecentral.com. I am sure there are others.

As for were to buy, look at ebay first. The CM11a is discontinued but are still available. Smarthome.com has a good selection but are a little pricey. X10.com is terrible to navigate through and will give your spam filter a workout.

I have used X10 to control my lights one year and was very disappointed. They are very slow to respond and don't work on some outlets.

I am using them to control the light on the stairs to the basement and to turn on my outside light.

This year they also turn on and off my blow ups, radio and my lawn ornaments. I use a relay to turn the ornaments off and on during the show.

I use a CM15A and 3 prong modules.

PaulXmas wrote:

I have used X10 to control my lights one year and was very disappointed. They are very slow to respond and don't work on some outlets.

I am using them to control the light on the stairs to the basement and to turn on my outside light.

This year they also turn on and off my blow ups, radio and my lawn ornaments. I use a relay to turn the ornaments off and on during the show.

I use a CM15A and 3 prong modules.

X10 can be a little slow. It should not be used for critically timed elements. That's why most use for such things as static elements, transmitters, etc.

The outlets that are not working are probably on a different phase, although the problem could be noise.

LOR has indicated that they are working on CM15a support but it's been a couple of years since they have mentioned it (that I can recall).

Good morning

this is the equipment I use for x10

the links are where I purchased the components

I control lasers onoff not critical timing

lasers have their own internal programs

I have burnt up 2 transformers for low voltage projectors using x10

do not know why -- next year investigation

you set up x10 in the hardware utility under header x10

in the sequence header you set a channel to the x10 address you choose

this address is different than LOR

not really to hard to get a handle on

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Appliance-Modules/[highlight= #ffff88]X10[/highlight]-AM486

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3120513

Frank A.:P

Attached files 191062=10721-x10_equipment1.jpg

A much easier way to use X10 for just timed static items, if you don't have a serial port on your computer or want to mess with the CM11a is to use an X10 timer. As easy as an alarm clock to set. And it's only $24.00 Plus you would need some X10 appliance modules (also availaible here)

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Controllers-Timers/X10-MT12A_2

What about Z-wave?

I know it is not compatible with LOR but does anyone use it as a stand alone instead of X10?

Is it more reliable?

Ed,

I haven't used Z-wave for static Christmas items, but I would wonder if it's reliable concerning the module fartherist away from the next closest module. Meaning, would they be able to create the "mesh" ?

I would guess that if they are close enough together it might work, I go several hundred feet between X10 modules , and I don't thinki Z-wave could do that?

UPB shouldn't have any problem, though.

May be wrong, try the Z-wave and let us know what distances you get out in the yard.