Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you cancel your show when roads are slippery?

JeffF

We have always canceled the show when the roads are slippery because we live at the highest point in our county and on a hill that has a tendency to freeze over(like tonight).

I feel it's the only right thing for us to do and for the most part I don't think twice about doing it... BUT, I've had people ask why? They don't understand us getting nervous about the weather because people are supposed to be responsible for themselves and if they want to chance driving to our show then it's their fault if they get in an accident(their words... *definitely* not ours).

So... are we being overly cautious? Or is this what most people do? I think it's a no-brainer canceling the show when the roads are slippery but maybe I'm just a worrywart. :(

-Jeff

I think you are being overly cautious. Unless you have some way to tell people that there is no show before they come up the slippery road, then they may think you are have technical problems.

Let the show go on! :(

I've done it once or twice, but not as a general rule. I've only done it if we're right in the middle of a major storm, and the streets are both slippery and non-plowed. We have a nice wide street which lends itself to viewers, even on both sides, but with snow, things can get messy and possibly dangerous. I don't want someone to ruin their Christmas by having a wreck in front of our place, and I certainly don't want someone challenging whether we're partially liable or not.

We don't get snow here, but may have extreme rain.

My "Tune to" sign includes "May be cancelled during rain" which I know has caused a few people (who obviously have seen the sign during the day or a previous night) to postpone a visit.

Thanks for the input... looks like we may be a little overly cautious. :(

I think the problems for us are that the road is a rural road and the speed limit is 45MPH. There isn't enough shoulder for cars to pull off the road without going in the ditch. We're 100 yards away from the top of a big hill so the road is blind when you're coming over the hill and approaching our house. And being at the highest point in the county, when there is 2" of snow in town... we have at least 6" of snow up here. (it really is a Winter Wonderland!)

Even without a show going we have people in the ditch or worse a few times a year. We're probably a little gun-shy because of this I guess. This is the *only* time I miss living in town in an actual neighborhood. ;)

Funny you should mention that... we have a field across the street from us and we are going to try and talk with the farmer who owns it to see if we can strike up a deal. Personally, I like having just a field over there so I'm going to try and make an offer to him where he can keep all mineral rights if he sells... I just want the land(to make said parking lot!!!). ;)

The crazy things we do for our "hobbies"!!!

I think it is realitive to where you live. If I cancelled my show when the roads were slippery my show would not happen most nights.

Like others said though If people come to see the show how are they suppose to know that there is no show that night and not to come?