Light-O-Rama Forums

Ever Had Too Much Publicity?

jim6918

jim6918 wrote:

Already making plans for next year; 96, 112, 128, 144, my God the sky's the limit!

yeah..I am thinking I need to jump from a first year 48 channels to AT LEAST 208 channels....

anybody know how I can make myself a bigger yard??? lol

I am bracing for an all out assault tonight. This morning at 430 AM, I was outside my house with a video camera, tripod and boombox playing a custom show, which I was recording for my MIL, who won't get to see it live. Who should happen to walk by, but a local radio personality, who I know professionally. He was startled to see me in such a situation at that time of the morning, but was also very impressed with the songs and animation. After I was done videoing, I went back to bed for a few hours. Later, my wife called to tell me that the radio guy had been talking about the lights and seeing me at that time of the morning with another DJ on the radio. He gave out the street address over the radio! Geez! and to think I was afraid of having the newpaper do a story about the lights.

I was a week late turning on the display this year. You would have thought the world came to an end. I did not contact any TV or newspaper except to put the listing in the paper with all the other people. However, the radio stations talk about it daily because they come out every year. The Trolley comes here ever other night. Santa nights we have 2-3 people directing traffic and the street is one way from 7-9 (yes I put up the sign and told the neighbors). Christmas Eve we handed out 500 candy canes in 45 minutes. I have room across the street for at least 100 cars.

My point is once they find you it becomes a full time job. However, the pay is fantastic. So many smiles from the kids and the adults.

Oh and the other benefit is that you do not have to Christmas Shop. Just give your kids the money tell them what to buy for your wife and avoid the stores. Hmm maybe I better contact that TV station?:)

Robin wrote:

However, the pay is fantastic. So many smiles from the kids and the adults.

It simply can't be said any better.

jimswinder wrote:

yeah..I am thinking I need to jump from a first year 48 channels to AT LEAST 208 channels....

anybody know how I can make myself a bigger yard??? lol

I have 160 channels all in use on a 50ft wide by 22ft deep yard, and if you add the 8ft deck then 30ft deep. I had to put my two 10ft mini mega trees on the front deck.

I actually have 192 channel but one controller is a spare the other was for the neighbours house, and I plan to have about 208 channels for next season.

No news paper or TV interviews but I can live with that because word of mouth has been working good for me.