Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about Schedule Editor - Extending Shows

Joe Noe

Hi All. This is the first year I've used a shutdown sequence. In the past, I've just ended it. Due to the amount of traffic we get, I would often have to go into the schedule editor and extend the show. This was easy. I would simply open the schedule editor, extend the time, and the schedule editor would pick up on the new time and the show would extend. This year, with the shutdown sequence, it doesn't seem to work the same way. Tonight for example, I had the show scheduled to end at 10:47pm. I wanted to extend that to 10:57 pm, and I changed it at about 10:30pm. The schedule editor kicked off the shutdown sequence at the original time of 10:47pm, but then fired the show back up for the extra time. Is the time for the shutdown sequence read at the time the show is started? It sure would be great if it worked the way it did before I added the shutdown.

I put a song in there called "End of the show" to let people know it's done, but it looks awfully silly when that plays and then the show comes on again. Does anyone know how the schedule editor works for determining when to fire the shutdown sequence?

Thanks

The shut down sequence is played following the end of whatever sequence is playing when the end time of the show occurs. If your show ends at 10, whatever sequence is playing at that time will finish and then the shutdown sequence will play.

Odd I should read your post now... Just tonight we had a bunch of viewers still out front at a couple minutes before 10. I didn't have the heart to let the show end while so many were still there so what I did was reset the computer's clock back by an hour. The show kept playing without missing a beat. At about 10:20 all but one vehicle had departed so I reset the time back to the real time. the current sequence ended naturally and the shut down sequence played. Worked slick.

George Simmons wrote:

The shut down sequence is played following the end of whatever sequence is playing when the end time of the show occurs. If your show ends at 10, whatever sequence is playing at that time will finish and then the shutdown sequence will play.

That's what I thought too, but I don't think it works like that. If at 10:30 I change the show to end at 11 instead of 10:45, for example, I would expect that it would finish whatever sequence it was on at 11, and then move to shutdown. What I experienced tonight was that at 10:45, the currently playing sequence ended, then the shutdown sequence played, then the show came back on so I killed it.

I never thought about messing with the PC time instead of the Schedule Editor end time. I might give that a shot tomorrow. I've always just adjusted the Seq editor time and so long as I was a couple minutes ahead of the end time to give the sch editor enough time to notice the change and reflect it on the screen, it would work as I intended. I wish I had a screen shot to show you. Here's what the log shows:

10:40:22 PM: Starting Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009WizardsIntro.lms
10:41:28 PM: Ending Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009WizardsIntro.lms
10:41:28 PM: Starting Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009Wizards.lms
10:44:34 PM: Ending Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009Wizards.lms
10:44:34 PM: Starting Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009NutrockerIntro.lms
10:45:56 PM: Ending Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009NutrockerIntro.lms
10:45:56 PM: Starting Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009Nutrocker.lms
10:48:05 PM: Ending Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009Nutrocker.lms
10:48:05 PM: Starting Shutdown: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009EndOfTheShow.lms
10:49:36 PM: Ending Shutdown: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009EndOfTheShow.lms
10:49:36 PM: Finished show: 2009
10:49:37 PM: Starting show: 2009
10:49:37 PM: Starting Musical: Program FilesLight-O-RamaSequences2009BeethovenIntro.lms

I then disabled shows to kill it. Wierd, right?

I have to admit I've never tried changing a show's end time while it was in progress. I read a thread about fiddling with the computer clock and ironically had an opportunity to give it a try. But I'm pretty confident about how the shutdown sequence is supposed to work, and it sounds like it did exactly what it was supposed to for you based on the initial information that was loaded about the show. It's pretty obvoius that the change you made wasn't picked up anywhere, but its gonna take someone smarter than either one of us to say why.

LOL... I don't know, you seem like a pretty smart guy! But, alas, I just can't help but wonder if the shutdown seq time is cached when the show starts. Based on my experience today, it would seem so. Even though I changed the end time to 1057, it executed shutdown at 1047 just like I had it set when the show started.

Hey George-

I did the PC Time adjust tonight and it worked slick. Took care of my issue. I'll use this method from now on.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!!!

Joe

I think I remember trying the same thing as you did, Joe, and it worked as you thought it would. Perhaps you have found a bug in the current version?