Light-O-Rama Forums

time

RobDaddy

for me its about 6-10 hours per minute.. however it also depends on the somng and what you want to do with it....

a slower song tends to be easier because you may not be looking for exact beat matches.. whereas something with a drum beat you tend to want events to fire dead on the beats and so it takes longer to make sure every beat in the song is on....

the beat wizard is good, however not perfect... and musicians arent perfect so even if you find the exact time between beats its not a dead ringer unless the song was done by an electronic drum machine....

techno stuff tends to be easier to sequence because once you get the exact time between beats it stays solid throughout the song...

TSO and mannheim stuff isnt that way... the beat is kept by musicians and it does vary...

-Christopher

A good general guideline for time is 1 hour per minute of music per controller.
So say you have a 3 minute song and 4 controllers it should be about 12 hours.
If you are really doing a tight (20 cells per second or more) complex animation it will take longer of course but it's a good starting point.

Lenny

I find since i went from 64 to 176 channels sequencing got easier... with smaller amounts of channels I always found it hard not to keep doing the same combinations over and over... with lots of channels its easy to come up with new effects and combinations and effects....

-Christopher

There's just way too many variables to make a general guideline. Of course, there's the length of the song. More importantly how do you run your display? If you only have a few things going on at once, that's easier than if you want everything in the display reacting most of the time. Even number of channels isn't a good guideline -- it takes me about as long to sequence my 16 mini trees as it does 48 channels of arches, and probably takes longer to sequence my 16-channel Merry Christmas sign.

Then, as noted, is the song itself. If it's repetitious, and you don't mind doing the same thing every repetition, cut and paste will save you a ton of time. Same goes if you don't mind that the mini trees do the same thing as the group of bushes behind them much of the time, etc.

of course...if you have someone else do it, it takes no time at all!!! LOL

EDIT: I have found that sometimes it does seem to take more time trying to re-sequence someone elses, rather than starting from scratch...

I tend to do things in blocks of 16... For example, I configured my CCR's to be 16 channels per color, I have a 16 channel mega tree, 16 mini trees, etc....

The same effect on different display elements of different shapes looks different even though you're using the same combination within the seq editor. This saves a ton of time when you're doing 500+.

As for time, it totally depends on song and your style.

Regardless of the shortcuts, it still takes FOREVER!!!!!