Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Location

JediKnight2

I don't get my LOR unit for another week probably, but I want to go ahead and get cords ran this weekend to have everything ready. Luckily I already have everything zoned out in 16 sections...I just need to figure out where to take them to.

I have attached a few pictures of the house...I have a few options...in the first photo..that is where everything terminates now...there is a GFI outlet at the bottom right of the window....there I could either put some concrete down with some rebar or cable it to the 6x6...the only problem with the 6x6 is it isn't hidden at all there...problem behind the bush is that rain water comes off of the roof line in two places to that spot...I could also run it to the area to the left either in front of or behind where the chimney comes out...good thing about being behind the chimney is I have a dog that will bark if someone goes around that way....the other spot would be in the other photo on that far right 6x6 behind the bush...I COULD put it in a locked closet in the back yard...but it is a 75-80 ft run to the back yard if I do that...good thing about that is my service panel is back in that closet...

What say you guys...what would you do?....

Attached files 190044=10680-loc2.jpg

I'm a first-time user this year as well, and we have a fence that runs with our yard and a gate to get up to the front door, so I was able to mount my LOR control boxes on the fence out of the way, and used a piece of plywood to make a slant roof for them, so run-off of rain.

I think the concrete idea would work best - Use some conduit, or strong metal piping instead of rebar (as rebar can become floppy and flimsy) - then you can drill through the conduit, giving the LOR boxes a good mounting position.

I'm also increasingly a fan of spray painting the LOR enclosures. I've found one of the stone look spray paints that works well for a couple of different brick surfaces. It is shocking how much more those controllers stand out if the door is open. Or on white or tan siding, find a similar spray paint color. It will help more than you would first guess. When mounted on fence posts in a park, we usually spray them brown, then give them some green to break up the edges a bit more...

Plywood boxes painted up like presents also make a really good cover...

I have mine mounted to the side of my house, behind a locked gate.
When I used my X10, I put the modules in a 1 X 1 Foot box, used packing tape to seal the box from moisture then put the box in a dark green garbage bag which I put under a big plastic planter turned upside down.

I think what I am going to do is mount it on the left behind the chimney...dog can see it and I can hear if anyone is around there as it is beside our bedroom. The longest run I might have to make using SPT-2 is around 30-40 feet..MAYBE 50...from there it is about a 60 foot run from the LOR box to a GFI on one side and about 12 feet to the other GFI...I will use 14/3 extension for both runs to the GFI...

PaulXmas wrote:

I put the modules in a 1 X 1 Foot box, used packing tape to seal the box from moisture then put the box in a dark green garbage bag which I put under a big plastic planter turned upside down.

I don't know, I think you needed another layer or two for moisture protection :D:P:dude:

JediKnight2 wrote:

I think what I am going to do is mount it on the left behind the chimney...dog can see it and I can hear if anyone is around there as it is beside our bedroom.  The longest run I might have to make using SPT-2 is around 30-40 feet..MAYBE 50...from there it is about a 60 foot run from the LOR box to a GFI on one side and about 12 feet to the other GFI...I will use 14/3 extension for both runs to the GFI...

That's what I was about to suggest.

Depending on your loads, it would be better to use 12-gauge cords for the LOR feeds, especially on the 60' one.

I appreciate all the replies and help...I am a little on the late side this year and scrambling to get things done...at least the lights are ran...just needed to work this out so I can make some SPT extentions this weekend.

Most of my controllers are hidden under something or behind something. Sorry but my daylight picture is to big and to crop it would shorten it to much.

4 of those arches are LED retro fit C7 8 channel arches, they actually look real good with snow piled up between the lights (adds a nice glow to the snow) when the leap from side to side. Those will be my style arch for now on. Lightweight, strong enought, and you do not need guy wires to hold them up.....oh and cheaper to make as far as lights go.

Attached files 190251=10689-house 004.JPG

I have mounted mine to fence posts that are used just to hold the controller. Lowes sells what I used to call snow fence post when I lived up north.

I also have a security cable looped around a solid object, like a tree, then padlocked to the controller.

Lee

Tim Fischer wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:
I put the modules in a 1 X 1 Foot box, used packing tape to seal the box from moisture then put the box in a dark green garbage bag which I put under a big plastic planter turned upside down.

I don't know, I think you needed another layer or two for moisture protection :D:P:dude:

Well here in Edmonton the only moisture we get this time of year is snow.
I am using the box this year to turn on and off my blow ups and radio and it is working fine.

I could not have place a controller in a worse location if even if I had enlisted the aid of engineers, meteorologist, surveyors and home builders.

During the first storm after putting up the display I discovered the rain poured right off the roof and hit the controller dead-on.

As said "any port in a storm", I needed a solution fast and one that would not interfere with the wireless system.

See attached, the unit has now been moved.

L

Attached files 190611=10697-IMG_0102.JPG

lleibeck wrote:

I could not have place a controller in a worse location if even if I had enlisted the aid of engineers, meteorologist, surveyors and home builders.

During the first storm after putting up the display I discovered the rain poured right off the roof and hit the controller dead-on.

As said "any port in a storm", I needed a solution fast and one that would not interfere with the wireless system.

See attached, the unit has now been moved.

L

Attached files 190614=10699-IMG_0102.JPG

It is a fence post. I made a bracket from some flat stock that uses the mount holes of the controller. You could just drill a new hole in the controller if you wanted. I did not go that way cause I did not want to mess up the paint, causing rust.

Also notice the lock and cable at the bottom of the controller. the other end goes around a tree.

Let me know if you would like to see more pictures of the bracket.

Lee