Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Keeper Pro

pdowns

It's in my DNA to buy inexpensive gadgets that can't possibly work. I inherited this from my father.

But I'd like to let you all know that I had 3 strings of mini lights go out yesterday and this thing really works. I didn't even need to know which bulb was bad. Just pull any bulb in a dead area, click a button, reinsert the bulb and you are back in business. Too cool.

I never used mine all that much until this year...have had it for about 3 years. I had several strands out this year.....pulled a bulb, hooked it up, pullled the trigger (some up to 20 times) and the strand lit up. Replace the bulb I took out, locate the bad bulb and install a new one.....very easy to use and a lot less time consuming. About the only problems it can't fix are broken wires and sockets...I swear by it now!

Make sure you replace the burned out bulb(s) otherwise the remaining lit ones will burn out quickly.

I bought one three years ago. It would have been a bargain at twice the cost. I have lost track of the numbers of strings of lights that would have been tossed or the time that would have been lost pulling and testing individual bulbs.

Last year I neglected to test a couple of strings of icicle lights before putting them up. Powered them up and had two segments that were out. Up the ladder with the LKP, zap the string and within a couple of minutes I had identified and replaced the bad bulbs.

This product is a TIME saver. There are a few ways to find the problem. If I can't find the problem with this gadget, I throw the strand away, because time is money, too. Out of 50 strands that i had to fix so far, found about half of the strands problems in seconds, the rest in minutes, and threw only 3 strands away.

Because of some strong wind moving through our area... I've fixed over 20 strands in the past few days. I'd say 10 of those were fixed with the squeeze of the trigger. 8 were found while squeezing the trigger and looking for a spark. And 2 were found with the audible trace.

I also had a couple strands where the LKP didn't help and I just had to start at one end and visually scan to the other to find broken bulbs.

-Jeff

It has fixed quite a few strings for me. I was wondering if the Light Keeper Pro would work on twinkle string. I have 4 strings on a 16 ft pool and portions are out. Of course I check and they all work worked before I put them up. I have tried the LKP but no luck. I am thinking that the twinkle bulbs do not let that surge though.

Have not had any luck with the audible trace. I think I might have to buy new batteries.

My neighbor think that the device is magic. It has fixed a bunch of thier strings. It just confirms their opion about the Crazy Light guy .

I use mine all the time... I love this gadget. My neighbor was having trouble with multiple lights. I took the light keeper pro over to his house and in 5 minutes I had all his lights working. He borrows it all the time. I would suggest everyone to go out and get it.

It's not for every lightstring. Some strings that have electronic controllers on them could very easily be damaged permanently. Also this device would be sudden death to LED's. It uses the same type of device that is used in gas grill igniters.

It won't connect to an LED socket, so there shouldn't be any LED accidents. And I just fixed yet another string. I'm so proud of myself!

Based on the above posts, I went out and got a LKP. When I first tried to use it I couldn't get the thing to work at all. I knew that you guys knew something I didn't, so I went to their website and watched their videos.

Be warned, their videos are long drawn out things. However, I learned how to use the LKP, and it does work as advertised.

Couple of things I learned;

if the first light doesn't make the beeper beep, turn the plug around.

holding the string near the LKP can screw it up, having the string laying across your lap screws it up too.

holding the LKP it too close to the string can give false readings

I still haven't had a string come back on after pulling the trigger (up to 20 times), but I think all my problems have been loose or broken bulbs, so of course it wouldn't.

Anyone have any tips on using it?

Bruce

Even with loss bulbs you can work your way to it I stick it at the base of the bulb. If I get a beep move to the next, until you don't get a beep. Sometimes there are more then one light out. I had a string this year I had to take out of the display and found 2 issues. LKP found both of them. But now that I have said this I suspect it wont work for me anymore. lol

I find its about 50/50 for me on the trigger.. but the bleeper always seems to get me near to the bad bulb.. so it saves me from testing 50 bad bulbs down to maybe checking 2 or 3.. and unless the wires are busted or pulled out of the sockets it always has gotten the set going...

a very nice thing for sets that go out during the season on something that matters like a PVC snowflake or such.
-Christopher

If you can use the LKP in complete darkness you can almost always see the problem bulb (or socket even) flash. I've picked up a few broken connectors/wires that were inside the sockets this way.

Biggest problem with the LKP is when your strands are 20' in the air. :P That's really my only complaint(and I know it's not the LKP's fault). :D

-Jeff