Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Set-up

Denny

I am trying to set up my show machine for multiple networks, the first year I have attempted this. The regular network finds 15 LOR controllers and everything works fine on that network. I am trying to set Auxilary Network A to use for the iDMX-1000 and Auxiliary Network B for the Firefly. The regular network is assigned to Comm 1, Auxiliary B is set to Comm 2, Auxiliary A is set to Comm 3, and X10 is set to Comm 4 in the network preferences. I have made the appropriate changes in the Channel Property grid as far as networks and channels. I cannot get the hardware utility to discover the iDMX-1000 on Auxiliary Network B. The maximum number of controllers is set to FO in the hardware utility and the iDMX is set to the factory default of EO. The iDMX status led is flashing at a slow rate. The only comm ports shown in the Hardware Utility are Comm 1 and Comm 2. I am using LOR 2.6.0. What am I missing here?

Edit to add: The regular network is using the SC485 serial adapter and the Auxiliary Network B with the iDMX1000 is using the USB485B adapter.

Do you have a COM3 on the computer? You can check in your computer's Device Manager, which you can get at through its Control Panel (your computer's Control Panel, not the LOR Control Panel), and looking in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section.

Is there anyway to test the USB485B to see if it is bad? If I connect the LOR controllers to the SC485, everything works normally. If I connect the iDMX1000 to the SC485, everything is OK. However, connecting either to the USB485B, nothing works. These tests were done on Comm 1. I changed out the USB cable to the USB485B but with no effect. I am beginning to think my USB485B is bad, but not sure how to check it to be certain.

Apologies if I misread your post. I read it to say that you used COM1 regardless of if you were using the USB485B or the SC485. Having said that. I doubt the USB485B will be on COM1. Bring up the device manager and take a look at your COM ports. Then plug in the USB485B and see what it shows. It should show an additional COM port. Try to control each device once you assign that port to the hardware utility.

basis21b wrote:

Apologies if I misread your post. I read it to say that you used COM1 regardless of if you were using the USB485B or the SC485. Having said that. I doubt the USB485B will be on COM1. Bring up the device manager and take a look at your COM ports. Then plug in the USB485B and see what it shows. It should show an additional COM port. Try to control each device once you assign that port to the hardware utility.

The only ports that show in the hardware utility are comm 1 & 2. The device manager shows 1, 2, 32, 33, 34, & 35. I currently have the firefly on comm 2 and the lor controllers and idmx 1000 are on comm 1. Comm 1 is designated as the regular network and comm 2 is assigned to Auxiliary A. I have had both the USB485B and the SC485 on both comm 1 & 2. The SC485 controls lights on either port. The USB485B doesn't work on either port. Hoping that the firefly on its own network will smooth things out, compared to last year. Wanted to keep the dmx on a different network too, but we will see how everything goes tonight when I start it up.

The device manager shows 1, 2, 32, 33, 34, & 35.

If you don't actually have a COM3 on the computer, setting an LOR network to use COM3 won't work. You'll have to set it to some other COM port.

Additionally, the Hardware Utility only supports COM1 through COM16, so you'll have to remap one of the COM32-COM35 set to be COM16 or below. I know that I have done something like this once, but I forget how. I will try to figure it out, but in the meantime, hopefully someone else will know how and will chime in.

Sorry to possibly ask basic questions, not trying to "talk down" to you, but are you sure you properly installed the drivers that came with the USB485? It sounds like you're not getting a proper com port.

Tim,

Not talking down to me for sure. I think you may have hit the nail on the head though. The last three years, I have used my laptop and everything ran flawlessly on it each year. This year, I decided to use a desktop that I replaced with a new machine this year. I installed LOR on it for the first time, but didn't think about drivers -- just assumed they were installed with LOR 2.6.0. I will check that out tomorrow. I bet that is it, though. Too many things to remember!