Light-O-Rama Forums

Videoing Display

captainron19

OK So i went out to video my display tonight and my plan was to import the audio via Windows Movie Maker but the vid was poor quality and in and out of focus.

Any tips ? What are you guys using to video your displays?

I used my digital camera. I am sure it would come out better with my normal Video Camer that takes mini dvds but not sure how I could get that into my computer (wasnt sure if the computer would recognize the file)

The dig camera is not the best 6.1 megapixels

I started to video my display and I found out quickly get it out of auto focus. that solves many issues. I noticed on mine I used a Sony HD cammy that the files are in MTS file and when Played on my pc its really high quality. I just sat in my car and made videos. I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to attach audio to it. When I uploaded them to Vimeo they are somewhat choppy. As far as your camcorder is a mini dvd. Just insert the mini dvd to your pc, if it has a dvd drive. You could probably use a usb or firewire if it has that.

Try to record when it's dawn, for me it works best.
I also set the camera to manual focus so it doesn't try to refocus when the ligths go off.
You should be able to import the mini DVD if your PC has a DVD player.
DVD decrypter can do it. http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

jerryb721 wrote:

Try to record when it's dawn, for me it works best.
I also set the camera to manual focus so it doesn't try to refocus when the ligths go off.
You should be able to import the mini DVD if your PC has a DVD player.
DVD decrypter can do it. http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

Thanks Jerry

I was able to view the movie file when i put the DVD in (opened up automatically in Windows Media Player)

But how do I get it into a format for my PC?

I did download the DVD Decrypter program and it took the files that were ont he DVD and apparently just placed them on my PC. So when i finished using the program i basically had a bunch of files on my PC now all ending with extensions I was unafamiliar with (.ifo .bup)

I have another program that will now take those files and convert them to a usable format.
When I get home I'll post it for you as well.
Sorry I forgot about that one.

Thanks

I did download a trial of isofter DVD Platnimum but i got nothing but errors from the program and then it constantly froze up after multiple restarts and re-installs

Jerry

I tried that IPod converter and it created an output file but into an unreadable format by my PC (I think it was a YMB Media file or something)

I made sure I had the output set to mpeg but it didnt do that.... any ideas?

I'll check the program out when I get home and see whats up.
Probably some default setting that needs to be changed.
How big is the file you want to convert?
If we can't figure it out together you could send me the file, I could convert it and send it back to you.
But first let me check the program out. I'll send you a message tonight.

I use the Flip UltraHD camera. It is only $150 at Amazon.com and shoots amazing videos!

I use Sony Vegas to edit the video, only $50 at Amazon.com.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=35968&goto=newpost

The new Flip minoHD (120minute version) has the better optics than the rest of the Flip cameras. But I can't justify spending another $60+ for a camera just to video the Christmas Lights.

Good luck!

Thank you Jerry!

jerryb721 wrote:

I've heard and seen very good results with the Flip HD and your videos show it to be good. Nice work!!!

captainron19 wrote:

Jerry

I tried that IPod converter and it created an output file but into an unreadable format by my PC (I think it was a YMB Media file or something)

I made sure I had the output set to mpeg but it didnt do that.... any ideas?

Hi captainron19

Ok I checked it out and here is what I see.
When you click on the video tab, then click power mode.
Choose your file, note the output directory,
I chose ipod 5th generation as the device.
then under the profile tab click and choose MPEG4 QVGA 768kbps stereo/128kbps AviSynth.
This created a file in the .mp4 format.
If you need that converted to .wmv you can use the SuperC video converter (it's free) to convert that to several formats.
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

If this doesn't help pm me your email and we can do more through email.

Thanks Jerry I feel like an ideiot -- the converter was doing everything properly and was setup right. It did convert to mp4 - I didnt have a program on my PC Capable of opening mp4's but after I looked into it further I saw the extension was mp4 so I am downloading that converter you recommended right now

Hi captainron,

Glad to help, hopefully you have everything you need to get your project done.
If you need any further help just PM and I'll be happy to assist.

(just make sure you mention my name in the credits as the video runs, lol)

OH Rats I already finished em and dint give you credit... Next time

Here they are. Clarity isnt that great but hopefully I am getting a new digital camera this week and it will have some good movie taking ability. I did this with my DVD Camcorder

Christmas Vacation
http://www.vimeo.com/8060169

Feliz Navidad
http://www.vimeo.com/8060094

Those look pretty good.
I always wanted to do Christmas vacation and now you have given me some ideas.
I might also modify my Feliz Navidad a bit after watching yours.

Nice work!

Thanks they are both for 48 channel so if you want the files PM me your email and Id be happy to send em to ya

Me and the Mrs were Christmas shopping tonight and we actually picked up a Flip Cam so I cant wait to try it out