Light-O-Rama Forums

Request - Software Needs an Unregister Feature.

richardh

I am requesting that the software have an "Unregister" Feature.

I found myself in a situation this past weekend where my laptop broke that had LOR installed on it. I went out the same day and bought a new laptop and could not install LOR because I have used up all 5 of my license seats. I guess I used them all up earlier in the year when I keep testing out the 32-bit and 64bit versions of windows with various components.

LOR was closed and I promised my customer I would have it all working by Sunday. I use my laptop for field work and then install the sequences onto a MP3 Director (I love those things).

I was very stressed and had limited time to complete the project.

My only option was to buy another copy of LOR so I could instantly get a working license number. I was able to finish my job and meet my deadline I promised my client.

After sending an e-mail to LOR, they did refund my money for having to buy the software again. Thanks!

I really hate software that has to "call home" but I understand why they need to do it. I just wish there was a better way.

There really needs to be an option to "Unregister" a license version of LOR on a computer because I have 2 desktop computers I could have done that to.

If I uninstall it, does it call home again and gives me back a "seat"?

I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm in the middle of diagnosing a major issue with crashing (see my post(s) yesterday) and trying multiple machines. In the process there's a very real chance I'll blow through all my licenses. Some of these will be 'wasted' on machines that I don't even own, others will be 'wasted' on machines I am retiring as soon as I upgrade.

My company uses a very similar licensing scheme for the software we sell. Having the unregister feature is not only convenient for the users (well, as convenient as a restricted licensing scheme can be) but also takes a great deal of load off of customer service by automating this function. Customer service calls don't come cheap, ya know... It would seem to me that LOR would be deluged with calls and emails this time of year with legitimate problems that they would welcome offloading these unregister requests to an automated function...

I think it's very unlikely this feature would be abused, but if LOR is worried about that, they could monitor the number or register/unregister requests coming from a single user...

richardh wrote:

Did you submit this to wishlist@lightorama.com ?

I also think it would be a good idea and this would allow me to register my work computer and then if that changes in future I could unregister / uninstall LOR if work gives me a new computer or a boot out the door.

Ed P wrote:

richardh wrote:

Did you submit this to wishlist@lightorama.com ?

I also think it would be a good idea and this would allow me to register my work computer and then if that changes in future I could unregister / uninstall LOR if work gives me a new computer or a boot out the door.

I will. I wanted to post it publicly to get other thoughts from people so I can see if there is a demand for such a thing which I think there is.

An Unregister feature would be great. If we couldn't get that, it would at least be nice to be able to find out how many license seats are still available.

I had a new PC that ended up being replaced by the manufacturer. Prior to replacing the PC they replaced the mother board and the hard drive. I'm not sure what the license is keyed to, but I'm guessing I wasted two license seats in that adventure.

I'm afraid that I'm sitting here with no licenses available. But I will not know for sure till the next time I try to install on another PC (probably on a Friday night when my show PC crashes hard).

Jeff, that's exactly how our registration scheme works. When you register, you get a text field to "name" the license (e.g. "Home", "Dell PC", etc) then when calling CS, they can delete the proper license of any machine which can't be unregistered through the usual process (due to machine failure, given away, whatever).

Add me to the Unregister camp as well.

I had great hopes for a cheap standalone desktop I bought for LOR. After way too much time and energy I abandoned that notion in favor of an on-hand laptop.

Yet, the abandoned machine has one of my LOR seats which will never be used (again).

Yet, the abandoned machine has one of my LOR seats which will never be used (again).

If you ever run out of license seats in a situation like this, contact LOR Customer Support, and they will take care of the situation for you.

Please note that I'm not saying anything like "... and therefore there's no need for us to add an 'unregister' feature." I'm only saying to contact LOR Customer Support, and they will take care of the situation for you.

Being someone with a piece of software out there of my own...I understand the need for a BASIC protection scheme...but let me tell you if someone wants to crack the software...there is ALWAYS someone out there smarter than you are...and you have to weigh the aggravation with the worth of chasing it. Licenses where you have to dial home...are aggravating. Macromedia Software did this with FreeHand and Dreamweaver...IT WAS ALWAYS CAUSING ME GREEF! Then they got bought by Adobe and it is now a NIGHTMARE!...I let my software users install my software on as MANY COMPUTERS as they want at the same address...it just saves me the aggrivation in phone calls and tech support.

So I am FOR an unregister feature...Macromedia had this and it most certainly is something any software that has this type of registration scheme should have.

I think The software should have an un-register feature as well. I use several computers throughout the year for sequencing and setup. It would be nice to retain the 5 licenses but be able to use these 5 on different computers.