Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 2.5.6 upgrade to 2.6.0 issue FYI

rfait

Hi all,

I had an issue upgrading from 2.5.6 to 2.6.0 that was a bit strange and i write this just as an FYI.

I run our show on a Dell Pentium M 1.7GHZ Laptop with 512MB of RAM and VISTA home with SP 2 installed. The intent was to use this computer only for the light show and sequencing, however, our main computer's logic board ran out of logic and needed to be replaced (it will be back on monday).

I have been using the laptop to test the show since 15 Nov, no issues with computer, GFCI tripped when it rained, weather proofed as necessary and resolved. The show is scheduled every day at 530.

With our main computer down, I used the laptop so all could check email (two users). I installed a canon printer (USB), printed what needed to be printed. checked some websites and noticed the upgrade to 2.6.0. I downloaded 2.6, attepmed to install without unloading the LOR tray, the install was not succesfull, I do not recall the exact error code. The LOR icon would no longer bring up it's menu nor could I control lighs in the sequence editor, nor bring up the hardware utility. I had to leave for jobs in another state, and would return on Wednesday 25 Nov. I call my wife and she verified no light show while I was gone.

I got back on Wednesday at 524, did not even touch the laptop and the show started at 530. No problems.... I have since upgraded to 2.6.0, no problems.

This is one of those strange things that I have seen in my life. I think it may have been an issue with port assignment (I think printers default to port 3), but since it all works with limited troubleshooting, I thought that I would relay this to all, somebody has the answer.

I know what went wrong.........

Your laptop got jealous of you getting your main PC fixed with a shiney new motherboard and it is possesed by a mysterious force that is messing with your apps just to show you who's boss. I would be very careful of "things that fix themselves".

On a serious note, I have had some "glitchy" things happen whilst installing 2.6.0 myself and resolved to totally uninstalling and reinstalling several times which in turn caused me to call LOR support because I used up all my licenses. All is good now except for the Window Command issue I have.

Duke wrote:

I know what went wrong.........

Your laptop got jealous of you getting your main PC fixed with a shiney new motherboard and it is possesed by a mysterious force that is messing with your apps just to show you who's boss. I would be very careful of "things that fix themselves".

On a serious note, I have had some "glitchy" things happen whilst installing 2.6.0 myself and resolved to totally uninstalling and reinstalling several times which in turn caused me to call LOR support because I used up all my licenses. All is good now except for the Window Command issue I have.

I believe your are on to something .. our other computer is an IMAC .....