Light-O-Rama Forums

Why we do this

George Simmons

For me, this is pretty much a full-time hobby. And there are definitely times during the course of the year - especially when the fun of setup quickly turns into drudgery - when I ask myself: why?

The people on the street the past two nights are the answer to that question. Awesome, unbelievable, fabulous, incredible... okay I admit that I never get tired of hearing perfect strangers (even Democrats) use those words about my work. Seeing them leave the warmth of their vehicle to dance and sway to the lights definitely warms my heart, and hearing them telling the kids "hold on - just one more song and then we'll go to Dairy Queen" makes me laugh out loud... both the first and the second time I heard the mom say that.

For me, that's why... for the joy it brings so many. (Plus I'm just as mesmerized as anyone else out there every night) We had a death in the family today - Sharon's aunt passed on as we sat at her bedside - and standing out on the sidewalk tonight was definitely good medicine. Yes, she's just as gone as when we left the hospital, but even so, there was joy to be found this day.

Hey George...

Sorry about your loss...but I bet she could see your lights up in Heaven!! And was smiling down on you too...

and I agree with blainehead...LMAO..."Even the Democrats"... great line

tonight was my first full schedule of shows (last night was just for the family) and after sitting outside in the cold for two hours (watching the same sequences I have been working on since summer!!)it was great to see people dance and clap with the music and say tomorrow night there coming back with hot chocolate!!!

It's a wonderful feeling for sure...

Well...back to sequencing even more songs!!!

I agree.. I only have 32 channels and wasn't "feeling it" during setup. But last nigh was my first run with just the wife and kids. That is whatmade me realize WHY! Even today my 4 year old girl asked if we were putting my tune to sign up today. When I said yes she said YES, LIGHTS, LIGHTS, LIGHTS! We are going to see Lake Myra Christmas display tonight. I think he has over 600 channels now spanning 3 yards. Santa Clause will be there tonight!

I do it for my kids. We would drive around only to see the disappointment on their faces instead of Christmas lights. Now the excitement of them running to the window when the show starts, it makes all the work on the ladder till your knees give out worth it. They love to help with the setup as well, nothing like watching a 6 year old unravel a string of lights down the sidewalk past the neighbors house all the way to the corner.

Now that the setup is done my kids and I can enjoy some time together, I think we have to go look for Santa at the mall or something.

sorry for your loss, i remeber losing my grandfather at xmas in 95,it was hard but the lights on the hose made us forget about the sadness and reminded us of his always making a comment like"son you just nuts",he just loved the lights but still though i was crazy...arent we all....haha....mike from cali..............