Light-O-Rama Forums

Comm Port Issue's

mike in tulsa

I have been able to connect to my controller only a couple of times, everytime I run the Hardware Utility, it states the Comm Port is in use.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thank you,

Mike in Tulsa

Guest wbottomley

mike in tulsa wrote:

I have been able to connect to my controller only a couple of times, everytime I run the Hardware Utility, it states the Comm Port is in use.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thank you,

Mike in Tulsa

Do you have two LOR programs running the same time?

If so, closing one of them will help. Only one program can control the port at a time.

Thank you for responding so quickly. The answer is no however. The control panel is open in the sys tray, but the only LOR program running is the Hardware Utility. The port is 9, and when I try to connect to the controller, I get a pop up that states the following:

The Serial Port (Comm9) assinged to LOR is in use. Using the LOR control panel, make sure that shows are disabled while you run the Hardware Utility.

When I right click on the control panel icon, it shows that Disable Shows is greyed out.

Mike, the control panel is using the comm port. U will need to shut down the control panel too.

To recap. Control Panel, Hardware Utility, and Seq. editor all use the comm port. None of these three will share with any of the other 2 items.

Guest wbottomley

Max-Paul wrote:

Mike, the control panel is using the comm port. U will need to shut down the control panel too.

That's not exactly true unless shows are enabled. But, if they are disabled, you can use the HU with the port.

One other question... what are the LED's doing (status lights on controllers) when the HU & Sequencer are closed.

All,

Thanks for you input. I ran into a problem getting the shows enabled because the port was "in use". However, your guidance led me to re-boot and then I used the control panel to enable and it worked.

The leds on the controller have always indicated it was waiting for the pc.

Again, thank you for all of the input. It is nice to know that as a "newbie", there are people who actually read the posts and give solid guidance.

Mike, so true. So many problems can be cleared up by a good old fashion "reboot". I maintain about 2 dozen computers that run production equipment. Sometimes when all else fails. Nothing like a good reboot to get things going again.

Glad you were able to get things going for you..