Light-O-Rama Forums

Grid change question*****BOB heres an Idea for you please read!

Ralph D

Morning everyone, quick question i made changes to my grid and forgot to export them.......would the changes have auto saved in the grid i was working in? or did i loose them? I don't see them when i opened the last sequence i was in. hoping I missed something. Microsoft did an auto restart last night and i was so tired last night i walk away for a few minute's, came back to a restarted pc. is there any way to get it? i did not export it but thought i saved something. i don't know dam! any ideas other then redo it?? Well i did print the grid and laminate it while having to work out side in the rain last night for the set up...... but I'm so mad i didn't export.

****:( Hey BOB! here's a good update, don't let the program close unless you answer a pop up asking if you want to save changes made while making changes in the grid layout screen. that would have been a life saver.

your visualizer is saved with the sequence. if you saved your sequence after making the changes, then you should have time. to get those changes to all your sequences, you will need to export and then import to all the sequences.

Chuck

I'd like to see the channel config become a global setting, with the ability for a sequence to override it if necessary. It seems to me that the channel config is a global resource-- you either have 3 controllers or 8 or 100 or whatever, and the mapping to your lights isn't going to change either. Whenever one changes something (like switching two circuits) it's always bugged me that you have to go reimport this change into EVERY sequence. Seems like you should just be able to change the global channel config, and it's reflected everywhere. In the cases where you don't want this (e.g. X-10 background sequences) there could be an option for a sequence to locally override the global settings.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I'd like to see the channel config become a global setting, with the ability for a sequence to override it if necessary.

Did you ever submit this to the wishlist?

This seems like a good idea to me too.

Have a global config that would always import on open and then allow it to be done like it is now too.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a wonderful idea. My show has over 70 sequences. I hook up all my lights, test them and then verify exactly which channel they are on. I then have to import that config into all 70 of my sequences. I am normally doing this about 2 days before my show goes live. A global config makes total sense to me.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I'd like to see the channel config become a global setting, with the ability for a sequence to override it if necessary. It seems to me that the channel config is a global resource-- you either have 3 controllers or 8 or 100 or whatever, and the mapping to your lights isn't going to change either. Whenever one changes something (like switching two circuits) it's always bugged me that you have to go reimport this change into EVERY sequence. Seems like you should just be able to change the global channel config, and it's reflected everywhere. In the cases where you don't want this (e.g. X-10 background sequences) there could be an option for a sequence to locally override the global settings.

How about not a global config, but rather a base file that each sequence gets pointed to. So all the sequences for the house could point to the base file for the house, while all the sequences for the firehouse and park could point to their base file. Then the background sequences could point to their respective, much smaller base files...

If you forget that there are people who sequence for more than one layout, you are going to break things for people..

-klb- wrote:

How about not a global config, but rather a base file that each sequence gets pointed to.  So all the sequences for the house could point to the base file for the house, while all the sequences for the firehouse and park could point to their base file.  Then the background sequences could point to their respective, much smaller base files... 

If you forget that there are people who sequence for more than one layout, you are going to break things for people..

That's fine too.

I didn't "forget", I allowed for that by saying a sequence could override the global config. Or there could be multiple global configs (which is essentially what you're suggesting).

We just need something better than we have now :)