Light-O-Rama Forums

OK what am I doing wrong

bdeditch

I have 3 1602's daisey chained. When I run the hardware utility it only finds one unit. No blinking lights on the other 2 units. Tried different com port and it doesn't find any.

Trying different comm port is not the answer. Just use the comm port that had the one unit. Did you change the unit id's. When they are shipped they have their unit id's set to #1. So the hardware utility can't tell the difference between the three units. You need to change at least two of them. This is done in the hardware utility.

:) Darryl :)

P.s. Did you try to connect them individually? Also the LED status light should blink ( meaning power ) or steady ( meaning connected )

bdeditch wrote:

I have 3 1602's daisey chained. When I run the hardware utility it only finds one unit. No blinking lights on the other 2 units. Tried different com port and it doesn't find any.

If they are 1602's, then change the unit IDs via the rotary selecter switches on each board.

Do NOT use the Hardware Utility, as the channel change eill not be saved.

Sorry its the 1602W's my mistake. I did go in and type in 2 in the box by refesh and I am sure that worked. I guess I figured that it would automatically show all 3 controlers in that box.

bdeditch wrote:

Sorry its the 1602W's my mistake. I did go in and type in 2 in the box by refesh and I am sure that worked. I guess I figured that it would automatically show all 3 controlers in that box.

If you changed the unit ID's via the rotary switches on the 1602 boards, then when you click "refresh" in the Hardware Utility, it should respond with "3 units found" in the first box, and the second box will let you see all the units.

JBullard wrote:

bdeditch wrote:

If you changed the unit ID's via the rotary switches on the 1602 boards, then when you click "refresh" in the Hardware Utility, it should respond with "3 units found" in the first box, and the second box will let you see all the units.

OK I see what you mean I checked the owners manual an seen it on pages 17 & 18. So I would assign 01 to first unit and then 02 to second, etc? I take it each one is set to 01 when it comes out of factory?

bdeditch wrote:

OK I see what you mean I checked the owners manual an seen it on pages 17 & 18. So I would assign 01 to first unit and then 02 to second, etc? I take it each one is set to 01 when it comes out of factory?

Correct. You can set them to whatever want (other than 00). I try to go in numerical order from start to end of the network, but the system doesn't care how you assign the IDs.

Also, as an added note. If you change the unit IDs with the controller powered on. You have to turn off the controller and power it on again for the board to read the switches. I suppose you figured that out. But in the future when this thread is found this info will help someone else.

Chuck

Suppose this too should be touched on. To make sure that the far right box (max scan) is set to a number higher that the highest addressed controller. Other wise you might not see some of your controllers.

I just keep mine set at F0. It doesn't really add that much more to the scan time. The added bonus is if I have made a mistake in controller addressing, it is real easy to see which one it is!