Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR-2.6.0 Encryption Question

bwolcott

Ok love the new version, do to that fact that I have a licensed Advanced version at home and a licensed Basic version at work. I can now start sequencing a project at work and bring it home to finish it up. It no longer encrypts the file in my Basic version, output is XML.

One Question - With my Advanced version can I choose to encrypt my sequences if I want? If so how?

No, as long as you have a licensed version installed, it will save any files unencrypted.

Well, a couple caveats:

(1) "A licensed version" except for pre-2.6.0 Basic licenses.

(2) If a file was encrypted on another machine, and you modify it and save it on a licensed machine, it will remain encrypted.

Finally, I am just curious: Why would you want it to be encrypted?

I work with some real dumb ***** that like to make changes to things they should not be making changes to. This has happens a few times already and when I ask who made the changes to the sequences I get "wasn't me" from them all. I have learned to make backups but if there was an option to simply encrypt while saving that would be cool.

Encrypting won't prevent them from changing the file. It will only prevent them from changing (or reading) the file using tools other than the Sequence Editor.

For example, for an unencrypted file, you can open it up with a standard text editor (such as Notepad), and modify it that way. It would be much more difficult to do so with an encrypted file.

But the Sequence Editor knows how to read, and modify, encrypted files just fine.

I was thinking more along the lines of them not being able to makes edits to the file from another machine within the office.

Not a big deal. The way it is now is much better and my backups work fine.

Thanks

The Sequence Editor can edit any sequence. It doesn't matter if the sequence is unencrypted or encryped. If it's encrypted, it doesn't matter if it was encrypted on another machine or not. The Sequence Editor can edit it.

I have an idea :) How computer savvy are these folks? If not very, you might be able to change the file properties of the files (right'click, then Properties) and set the files to read only. That might stop them from editing them and resaving them . It would, however, allow you to play them just fine. You'd just have to remember that you had to un-protect them before editing and re-protect them when you were done.

-Gary-