Light-O-Rama Forums

Can ALL LED lights be dimmed?

WeissWelsh

Hello,

I have portions in my sequence where I want to slowly dim everything. I have some lighted LED figures that I don't know if I'm allowed to dim, without damaging them. For example, I have a Balloon Santa, Polar bear, reindeer and a snowman that all contain LED lights. Is it safe to dim those kinds of things.

If not, how can you tell what kind of LED lights can be dimmed and which cannot?

Thanks.

Laurie

I can say that not all Led's can be dimmed, but I don't know how to tell which ones can be. I have several set's from different manufactures, some "commercial" grade and some store bought that will dim slightly and then flicker off.
Then I have some that are combined with mini's and they dim perfectly. Some for even 3 or 4 seconds. They don't dim at the same rate as the mini's, but they do fade off.

As far as damaging, I haven't had any that were damaged because of dimming, but that's not to say that others have had problems.

Good Luck,

Scott

I have nearly 50,000 LED from sevearl manufactures and so far all dim.
I do see differences in shimmering and fading between them but they all work

If your LED's are powered by a transformer of any kind they probably aren't dimmable without fatally damaging the transformer.

Other non-dimmable LED's will identify themselves by burning out after being dimmed a few times.

Thanks George that's good to know.
I must have ones without transformers and just got lucky that all I bought don't have them. Or just lucky they haven't burned out the last two years.

I will now make sure as I buy more.

Thanks everyone.

So, it looks like the only way to be sure is to give it a shot and pray nothing bad happens. Thanks everyone for all your help. Wish me luck :)

Laurie

I did connect some of the Home Depot C7 LEDs to my controller for a test and they actually dimmed pretty good. But just in case I made up about 2 dozen single C7 incandescents to put between the controller and the LED lights in case the strand has trouble dimming. I forget what these are called but basically it is a single incandescent bulb with a male and a femal plug (only about a foot long) just help with the draw if the LEDs do not dim.

I do have a set of LEF snowflakes that have the transformer on them with a dial for about 8 or so settings of blinking. I am going to try and incorporate them into the show and set the dial to steady on. If the lights die no biggie but I was told they will nto affect the LOR Units (I Hope)