Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 and CM11A on XP

Rick Hughes

From what I've read, general industry support (in other applications like ActiveHome event scheduling) for the CM11A ended pre-XP.

I have an abundance of X10 modules which I would like to use to turn on window candles.

If I purchase a CM11A (like on eBay) does it need special drivers to communicate with S2 - my only interest is between S2 and X10.

Thanks for your advice. Rick

Does you computer have a serial port? If so, you should be good to go with the CM11A. If not, you can try a usb to serial adapter. Some have had good success. I have not. I think my issues are more around understanding computer comm ports and settings.

Patiently waiting for LOR to support CM15A.

Rick,

No special drivers are needed. Your PC will need a seriel port.

S2 will opperate these modules pretty well, there is about a one second delay on the timing because of X10 being slow to get the signals. Make sure your CM11a is the older type with the seriel plug and not the USB type.

Vic

Thanks Dave and Vic,

I'd have to use either a USB version or a USB-to-Serial converter which sounds less foolproof.

Although I'll have lots of X10 modules they are all the same house code and it's just "ON" at dusk and off around 10 which I could do manually.

I'm wondering if I should join the patiently waiting for CM15A crowd?

Rick

There was talk a couple of years ago for CM15 support but not much since then. My guess is that X10 is a dying technology and LOR is not investing much resources into it.