Light-O-Rama Forums

Road construction blocking subdivision entrance

ItsMeBobO

They have been working on the main drag for months. But yesterday they put up cones dividing the street and brought in the big machines. Today they are diverting traffic to one lane in each direction and you have cross over the construction side to enter our subdivision. Based on how long the last section took up a ways, it will be this way until spring.

Its definitely going to discourage the lookers. :X

Thanks Jeff for helping consider options.

I think my In-Laws would be happy to let me do their house since that is where the Christmas celebration is going to be.

Unfortunately my display is 60% up already. All the controllers are mounted and the meteor lights and strobes are hung from cables between the trees. The half Mega (up against and hanging from the house) is up.

I was thinking I could post a sign at the corner that the display is on despite construction. That corner has a new owner who I have not met.

There is actually another way into the subdivision from the east side. But its a rats maze to find my house with 6 turns.

LOL You are very creative and determined Jeff!

The City Police have helped me with my Halloween display a few times but I have never talked to the city about Christmas.

Strangely the road under construction is part of unincorporated county and on the boundary. My subdivision is in the city which is a different government to call.

Just to be clear. The road is not closed. But they are removing the road bed to widen it so you have to drive between the cones, and very soon down a gravel ramp across the construction and back up the other side.

If I were around there it wouldn't stop me from coming to see the display. I guess it just all depends on how much the people like to see them. I try to see every display that I hear about. I only have 2 or 3 that are even close enough to make the drive and I really enjoy going to watch their shows.

Actually there is a chance that will be up near St. Louis the first week of December so I might have to find out where you are. I live in NC but I travel a lot for my work so we will be flying into St. Louis and driving up to Hannibal to work.

Jeff Millard wrote:

My nearest immediate family member lives 880 miles away. So I wouldn't be doing that.

Jeff
What, I'm not family ;):D:D Less than 60 to me

• 10 months later...

Revisiting this old thread. The road construction has been going on the entire year! There are still cones dividing the road for about 2 miles on the main drag where you enter my subdivision. On about 1/2 a mile of that there is a 3 foot drop off where they are regrading.

This week I noticed they finally poured the concrete sidewalks on the far side and also did some ramps for driveways. Looks like they might be done about the time I take my lights down !

Actaully Rich said from the get go IF he ever had a neighbor complian he would stop doing his show. He ended up with exactly that happening and had the chance to move it to an empty lot by his parents I believe, or in laws...Last I heard that one neighbor is gone, and actually was in jail if I remember. The rest of his community was fine with it so he was probably moving it back home where it belongs.

Lenny

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Revisiting this old thread. The road construction has been going on the entire year! There are still cones dividing the road for about 2 miles on the main drag where you enter my subdivision. On about 1/2 a mile of that there is a 3 foot drop off where they are regrading.

This week I noticed they finally poured the concrete sidewalks on the far side and also did some ramps for driveways. Looks like they might be done about the time I take my lights down !

Just curious, how did the show go last year with all that road construction? Did you get a good number of cars?

• 1 month later...

Final update on this thread.

One full year and two weeks and the construction project is completed! They finally opened the new lane on the main drag where you enter my subdivision. They painted the lines and took all the cones away on Wednesday before Thanksgiving!
I am thrilled its complete before opening night.

So now I can't blame the lack of guests on anything but my show.

• The topic was locked