Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Different Computers

Gilford

I have used a LOR disignated computer to make all my shows, etc. I will use that computer to run everything when turned on. I put all sequences on my laptop by flash drive mainly for backup should something go wrong with the LOR computer. If I decide to use the laptop to run the shows, do I need to re-configure all the controllers? --or can I just plug in the the LOR USB485 and all will be ready to run the shows?

Thanks--

The sequence file that you transfered over to the laptop will contain the controller configuration information. So, just installing the USB driver and pluging in the USB adapter and you should be good to go. Maybe it would be a good idea to test this set-up just incase.

The idea of transferring files is a great idea. With one exception. You might have to remap to the audio files, if the folder structure is different between the two computers. Such things as you being a different named user on each computer will throw off the path.

Chuck

You will need to be sure that both computers are correctly set up for where the LOR network is, but the sequence files only refer to those ports as regular, aux A, aux B, and aux C, so as long as the LOR install on each PC points those to the right com port, that part should be good, just leaving ensuring the audio files are mapped correctly.

Works great, that's how I do it. You only need to set up the show computer for the controllers that are connected. I've never set up the sequencing computer for controllers cause it doesn't have any, just the same channel configuration file. Set mine up last night after getting all lights up. I'm ready to go - - - come on Christmas.

At first I had LOR store the files in the default location (My DocumentsLight-O-Rama). Because I used different login names on different computers, this way gave me great headaches when attempting to build a show on one computer and then copy it to the show computer. It also caused the visualizer to not be able to find the background image.

So this year I said enough of this nonsense! On all computers (work computer, home desktop, laptop, and show computer) I put everything in C:Light-O-Rama. Problem solved. Now I can build the entire show on one computer, burn it on a CD, and copy it directly to the show computer.

Steven -

That's because each "My Documents" has a different owner. It would work if each of the users was an administrator on the computer, then they would have access to the My Documents of any owner. Unless they are networked computers, even using the same user on each computer wouldn't work because each computer is on a different "network" (i.e. named what ever the computer is named). You solution to write then onto the root "C:" is because everyone has write to "C:".