Light-O-Rama Forums

extension cords

mill4011

I am a newbie running a 64 channel LOR this year. I just about have everything set up and am ready to running LOR controllers and extension cords. Is there a cheap but effective/safe way to wire up 64 extension cords? I've been looking into SPT-2 wire and plugs. I am a licensed electrical contractor so I know a little about wiring, but I don't want to over kill it by running a big wire and oversized plugs that break the bank. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I've mainly used premade 'indoor' cords. They're no different than the SPT-2 homemade ones in quality (even with the 'indoor' rating) and generally cheaper to buy. Most of my controllers are within 15' of the lights they control so I don't need longer runs. I do use some SPT-2/vampire plugs. I also some thinner custom wiring harnesses for some specialized needs that control either 35 incandecent lights/channel, or one string of 70 LED's/channel (e.g. very low-amperage loads).

thanks you for reposting that link jim. I tried to find something without having to post another newbie???, guess I didn't dig deep enough. SPT2 with vampire plugs is the way I'm going. 90% of all my light are LED so I'm not to worried about overloading. gonna be a fun first year.

• 5 weeks later...

does anyone know the name of the other plugs used where the plug itself has both a male and female end on it. the vampire plugs worked great but in some cases I need a plug where I can go off of it to another without having to use a 3 way plug splitter.

I would think that might be a little dangerous having a "live" male end.

If you "cut out" the end of a couple of female alligator plug, you can then run the SPT wire thru it and make your own three way (or four way, or however many ends you needed).

There is a thread showing you how..will see if I can find it.

Edit:

This is what we mean...just notch out the end so the wire can go thru it instead of stopping at the end as it normally would.

Attached files 191560=10747-step 11.JPG

I would think use just another vampire plug. Several people use one male and several females at the other end.

EDIT: was typing at same time

that makes since, just notching out the vampire plug to continue running wire. the plugs i was mentioning earlier though are the plugs that are on most lighted strings you buy, where you can interconnect strings together without running a 3 way splitter.

I think you mean a "piggy back" style plug. So you can 'stack' your plugs into each other - like some people have 7 or 8 of these things.

If you converted everything into Aussie style plugs, then piggy backs are no problem! I wish the US would adopt that idea - every extension cord in AUS had a piggy back... SUCH A GREAT IDEA!

Yes, the picture is my work, but was to light up a giant letter... there were more. Just showing the idea of the piggy back style plug.

Do they make these in vampire plug form?

Attached files 191667=10749-IMG_0487.jpg

that's kind of what I am talking about, a piggyback style plug. but the ones I am referring to are the kind that usually come standard on light strings. Do they make a style that is compatible with SPT-2 wire or just the kind you show in your photo using bigger gauge wire such as 14-2?

I'm sure there is a way to do it - the vampire cords you're putting the wire in, and then the top cap slides over the wire to make the cord push on the prongs to make a connection. If the back was open, you'd run into the cord.

I get your idea, I've had to stack several cube taps to get 4 or 5 open outlets on 1 channel.

If anything, you can make a longer stringer run, and place several female plugs on it. But since you did say (I think) that you were an electrician, or did some handy electrical stuff; I'd check with an electrical supplier that deals with plugs, cable, breakers and such - They may know a solution.