Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anyone used an SSR to turn a stereo on and off?

Ponddude

I want to put a single speaker outside for when people are out doing interactive things with the show. Obviously the computer sound wouldn't be loud enough. I do have an old stereo that I want to use to turn amp up the sound output.

Here is the plan; use a puck SSR, triggered by a DC channel, to turn the stereo on and off depending on when the interactive part of the show is on. Do you think that will work?

Greg

I took a little different approach. using the same style SSR I feed a side of the audio channel throught the switching side of the SSR and it worked.

I tried that with an old receiver/amp I had and it would work a few times and then blow the fuse, not sure if it was a combition of the receiver I used and the SSR but I abandonded that approach at tried the previously mentioned style.

greg

So wait...did you use a DC trigger AC ssr or dc/dc ssr. I had thought about that but didn't know if it would work. On paper it should work but now that you told me I think I will go that route. Do you have pictures of your setup?

Greg,

I used that set up in 2007 and 2008. Unfortunatly I don't have pictures and have taken it apart to use the relay for something else.. Mine was an AC triggered relay/ AC switched

Here is a link from the company I got it from if it helps,

http://www.wallcoinc.com/Solid_State_Relays_s/321.htm

I don't recall the model, If I think about it I will try to tear apart the control box it is in and get the info from it if you like.

I thought I would definatly get some hum but I did not. I would guess because it is using an isolated LED to open and close the connection that is why it worked. Since SSR work basically the same, it would probably work with a dc control input as well.