Light-O-Rama Forums

Serial Port error

redsea300

This is the first year I am using a computer to run a show. I used the SD card last year. I put everything into my new laptop(software , programing,etc) When I try to Enable a show it says. Shows cannot be enabled because of an error. Open serial port has failed. Error(8002) Open of serial port failed. What should I try?
Thanks in advance
Don C.

Do you have the LOR adapter connected to the computer?

If using a SC485 you will need to connect a minimum of one controller.

I take the attitude of making sure I have at least one controller connected.

Sometimes a reboot will clear this up also.

Chuck

Also, check in either the hardware utility, or sequence editor that this computer has been configured with the correct com port for the LOR network. Also, if the hardware utility is up, or the sequence editor is up and set to control lights, they will be attached to the com port, so no second application like the control panel will be able to attach to the port.

-klb- wrote:

Also, check in either the hardware utility, or sequence editor that this computer has been configured with the correct com port for the LOR network. Also, if the hardware utility is up, or the sequence editor is up and set to control lights, they will be attached to the com port, so no second application like the control panel will be able to attach to the port.

Bingo! I agree with KLB on this one. It is the most common reason I have seen and I used to run into this problem.

Thanks everyone. It was trying to to go to port 1. I attached the usb485b to the computer hooked up one controller. Used the hardware utility and it found it on port #4 . All is good now. I am now trying to get it to run a show.
Thanks everyone.