Light-O-Rama Forums

Hacking circuit board

Dan Lott

I have 3 Mr. Christmas lights and sounds of christmas that i have used in the past years. I have 24 snow flakes on a stick that i want to put in the yard in random places. I want them to blink randomly i think it would give it a cool effect. I had this thought that i could put them on 1 of my lights and sounds of Christmas boards and they would blink through out the show. I want to plug the Mr. Christmas into a channel on lor and just turn that channel on during the song that i want them to blink. I do not need them on for all songs that is why i want it on a lor channel. My problem is that all 80 are being used and i do not want to free one of them up and lose somthing. The only channel i could free up is on a board that can not handle what i want to do. So has anyone hacked these boards and found a way to use them like an lor board.

Not sure what affect that a LOR channel would have on another circuit board. Perhaps you could use X10 to turn the controller on and off if you are not to concerned about "split second" timing.

Good morning

I just posted a little info on 'Snow machine help'

under 'Newbies'

See if this info is what you need

Frank A.:D

For my situation I do not think x10 is the way to go. As i will have 40 dollars in the x10 controller and then need to by a serial to usb adapter. So i will 70 dollars into not including shipping so by the time it is all said and done about 10 to 20 more dollars i can get into a pc kit controller and have 15 more channels.

Your investment in X10 doesn't have to be just for Christmas lights. The CM11A can also behave as a timer to control dozens of X10 controllers. You can use relatively inexpensive X10 controllers for your indoor lights, to make it look like someone is home. The CM11A lets you control all X10 lights from a single place, so you don't have to go around the house and set a timer for each light.

I use X10 to control the landscape lights, as well as lights in 5 different rooms in the house. During Christmas, I use it to turn on the transmitter, and turn off the porch light.

(Thought I posted this already, but I don't see it...)

You can buy CM11A modules for $15-$20 and appliance modules for under $10, often including shipping. On eBay. That's where I get all my X10 stuff...

Tim

Ok checked ebay the CM11A modules there is three listed when i type in CM11A modules and they are 79.99. I looked under appliance modules and they came up for about 7.99 Now i see the cm11a has a serial port hooked to it what about the appliance modules i dont understand how or if that could connect to the computer.

Good morning

here is vendor I used

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Appliance-Modules/X10-AM486

The above info in a previous post is just what I could find

when my records were not available

The cm11a is the controller - rs232 to computer, plugs into a house outlet -

The cm11a is LOR sequence editor controllable and addressable

If you do not have a rs232 port on computer you

need an usb to rs232 convertor cable

I utilize Radio Shacks http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3120513

The appliance module would plug into an outlet located

near the equipment you want to control -- it has rotary dials to set

the address A1 to P?, lots of channels.

It is a straight forward way to control on off devices

that are not critical in the timing area. It is possible to see

a one second delay from command sent to response with X10 equipment

The idea of X10 control is to utilize the house wiring (120 vac 60 hz)

The x10 controller sends signals at a different frequency(hz)

on the house wiring

From the master controller (cm11a) signals can be sent

to multiple devices for control of lighting, appliances, etc.

Frank A.;)

Dan Lott wrote:

Tim

Ok checked ebay the CM11A modules there is three listed when i type in CM11A modules and they are 79.99. I looked under appliance modules and they came up for about 7.99 Now i see the cm11a has a serial port hooked to it what about the appliance modules i dont understand how or if that could connect to the computer.

Looks like CM11A's are a bit more rare on eBay since last I checked. Here's one option:
http://cgi.ebay.com/X-10-ActiveHome-Automation-Components_W0QQitemZ330374656371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item4cebdd3173#ht_500wt_937

Or here's a new option:
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/Computer-Interfaces/CM11A-RCA

The appliance modules don't connect to the computer - the CM11A (or another X10 controller) sends a signal over the power line to trigger them. That's the whole point of X10 :)

-Tim