Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to install S2.6.0.exe under Win7

TJ Hvasta

Hello all,

I can d/l the S2 package, but when I try to install it I get a couple different error msgs, depending how I am installing.

First, I'm running Win7 RC on an ECS P900MT4 motherboard, 2.5GB RAM, after d/ling S2.6.0 executable file, I click on the file, splash screen, InstallShield popup opens, Accept Terms, Customer Info, choose the folder location (C:Program FilesLight-O-Rama), click Install, Installing Light-O-Rama window opens, then...few seconds go by and:

Error 1305: Error reading from file C:UsersParentsAppDatalocalTemp{34fsdf46sfs(etc)LightORama.msi} Verify the file exists and you can access it...

The file is there, I endup d/l'ing it multiple times, into different folders, even diff. drives, thinking maybe it was a bad download.. click on the .exe file, restarts as before (above) even clicked on it -in the Temp Folder, and get the same error 1305 msg... then...

Still in the Temp folder, I right-click, choose Run As Administrator and get :

Error 1303.The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsLight-O-Rama. The installation cannot continue. Log on as an administrator or contact your system administrator.

So whats the deal? I tried, WinXP,SP 2 & SP3 compatability mode, thinking(hoping) it was just that, but it isnt.. I did order the software on CD, (should be here in a week or so) but wanted to get a start on some sequences.

...really stumped...

No, the page that SDembski linked to is referring to installer problems. I would also suggest trying it out (although I don't think I've previously seen error 1305 or 1303).

Bob, I read thru that page but it says:

"Sometimes, (key words here) after installation, when you try to start a program such as the Sequence Editor, the program will not start, and instead a message will pop up, saying:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Light-O-Rama.msi' in the box below.

[align=left]I am not even getting to that point. I got those errors on the very first install attempt, so it wasnt a matter of it not being on the network resouce. Clicking on the exact install file(in the Temp folder) gave me those errors. I guess I will have to find one of my machines that has XP and try 2.6.0 there.. Interestingly enough, the computer I am on now (my kids) runs 2.5.2 fine, and it is running Win7 RC.. :?[/align]
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left]Thanks for the help... I'll keep digging...[/align]

TJ,

The network resource error is misleading. That's not the problem and has nothing to do with the real issue. This error is caused by a failed install/uninstall. You should download the win cleanup utility and follow the instructions. If it doesn't work, then post that, and you will get other advice (hopefully)... but this approach has fixed lots of install problems...

No, nope, nada, nyet, nuthin.. d/led mcicuu2.exe, ran it, but as I said.. several times, S2 was -never- -ever- installed so there was nothing to remove in the installed items list.. nothing to clean up/remove, wasnt even in the list. I just tried to install 2.5.2 and received same error 1305.. so guess this computer just wont be able to run any LOR software.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Here is an account of someone who encountered error 1305 while trying to install a different program (not LOR), and how he fixed it:

http://richardsleegers.blogspot.com/2006/04/error-1305-error-reading-from-file-msi.html

Hope this helps. Please let me know if it does not, or if you have questions about what he suggests to do.

TJ,

This is acting as if you don't have rights to the folder. Are you sure you are an administrator of that machine? Forget the run as administrator part and check Computer/Manage/Local Users.../Users and check your username and make sure it's a member of Administrators...

Chuck, thats what I was trying to get across to the others, there were no LOR entries at all in the Installed programs list.. so using the CleanUpInstaller was not going to do anything.

Thanks, TJ