Light-O-Rama Forums

Do Your Neighbors Envy Your Display???

jimswinder

My neighbors do not envy my display. They do however enjoy it very much and many came by multiple times last year to see it again and again.

From the next door neighbors, No. They think I am crazy to work so hard on it. I get a lot more 'why' questions than 'thank you' comments from the 3 others on my dead end street. But they don't decorate.

One changes the two porch bulbs to green from white.
One puts out a single string along the sidewalk.
One does nothing but was proud to tell me they USED to hang lights from their balcony but don't bother anymore. This one made a point to tell me last week that he didn't want to hear any music repeating at his house.

But the people who intentionally come to see often express appreciation. Most totally glaze over when they see the controllers and tangles of cords and would rather just come see mine then set up their own.

Edit: Typo

Tim Fischer wrote:

I'm wondering if this was an attempt to post the "Ditto" picture?

I thought the same thing when I read the title.

vipzach wrote:

You are smarter than us! I don't know how to make a completely blank thread. :D

I thought it was to keep us guessing.

hmmmm...it must be linking to the file on my computer...but yet I copied and pasted the pic into the thread???

It's a mystery to me...

Tim Fischer wrote:

It's ok, we've all seen it anyway :D

obviously everyone but me!!!!! lol

and now I am the only one who can see it....

it must be from staring at all those LED's for 6 hours every night... LOL

I think the answer to the thread's question, for me anyway, is a resounding YES! Why else would they go out and buy one of those 6 channel blinkey-blinkey Mr. Microphone systems and plug it in next door to a 144-channel LOR display? It's been almost a year now and we still haven't spoken a word about it. I'd like to think its because they're too embarassed, but if that was the case then why would they do it in the first place? It will be interesting to see if they whip out their technological marvel and plug in their faded multi minis again this year.

Oh yes the blinky-blinky Mr. microphone system. My neighbors have not seen any work i am doing with my new lor system but they loved when i had 3 Mr. blinky-blinkys hooked all togeather. Kind of funny i had someone stop who used d- lights and talk about animated displays he was amazed when i told him it was a lights and sounds of christmas. But they loved my show the past two years and this year going big i hope the will like it. But no one ever would want a display themselfs it is too much work for them... They hardly even put out a strand of lights. So i take it apon my self to decorate for the neighbor hood

I could understand some neighbors not wanting to decorate next to someone who has 50,000 plus lights...who would notice the neighbors 4 or 5 strings of lights?

Jeff Millard wrote:

I don't know if it's envy, or just disgust. I have one neighbor who used to decorate quite a bit, but now they don't put anything up. That breaks my heart. There were many things that caused me to drop having a big display for 2009. (The Philly's lost, DirecTV dropped the Versus channel, you know, all the things that bother everyone else too) But I'm hoping that having a small static thing with some pleasant incandescent lights will bring them back...

At our old house, our neighbor (who we generally got along with) wandered over one mid-summer day, when I was working out in the yard and pretty much Christmas was the last thing on my mind, and said "you know, I've been thinking -- you put up enough lights for the both of us so I'm not going to put any up anymore." All he ever put up was a single row of C9's on the eves which quite frankly were faded and not all that attractive - but hey I'm not one to knock someone's honest effort... I tried to talk him out of it but he insisted. He was one of those people who had a very dry sense of humor that you never knew if he was kidding or not. But sure enough, after that, their house was dark every December, at least until we moved...

Our current immediate neighbors, save the house right next to us, are "interesting". That's all I'll say, many of you know the story :D The neighborhood as a whole doesn't decorate that much but they seem to appreciate our display -- we get a lot of compliments at the block party, not to mention the ones we get in-season...

-Tim

When I moved into my house 9 years ago, we had a neighbour (3 house away from us) that had a ton of lights.

For one reason or another that neighbour hasn't decorated for a few years now.

I started out small building every year.

My on the south side (they have lived there for over 20 years) never decorated.
Every year they are putting out more and more. There are about 8 houses in a row that decorate.

When the neighbours decorate, it looks GREAT!

Envy? probably not. Indifferent is more like it. At least my neighbour to the south probably doesn't know I have lights. He's always working. Now the neighbour to the north the husband seems o.k. with it but his wife thats a different story. The kids on the street call her "the hawk" because she always out on her porch watching everything thats going on. Last year friends of mine overheard her saying to her guests that it was "disgusting, all those lights".:P

Here's a pic of the southside neighbor's house. Its been like this for FIVE YEARS!!!

Attached files 185583=10526-PB070016.jpg