Light-O-Rama Forums

Amp Meter

shfr26

Just picked up a Reliance Am/Watt appliance tester at Home Depot. Measures watts and amps similar to a kill a watt meter. Digital read out and so for appears very accurate. BIG thing is, It's only $25.00 bucks versus $50 to $200 for the others. Anybody ever heard of this brand or tried one? Can post pic if you want Model #THP103

Just got done checking one controller with my handy dandy new meter, Two channels left open yet, approx 3800 lights and only 11 amps. I guess I can get more lights now.

shfr26 wrote:

Just got done checking one controller with my handy dandy new meter, Two channels left open yet, approx 3800 lights and only 11 amps. I guess I can get more lights now.

The beauty of knowing.

Can you post a pic i really need to get one but not looking at spending 100 or 200 on a good one. Not being cheap but this is the only reason i would need one so why spent more money than needed.

Dan

Yes on the pic, Yes Iresq,I think you told me to get one, And yes, ItsmeBoBO, cheap is good. Or maybe it was mountainwxman that said get one. I dont remimber.:?

Attached files 185137=10506-Picture 140.jpg

If you are lucky enough to have a FRY's Electronics in your town, they sell pretty mutch the same thing called kill a watt http://www.frys.com/product/5883653?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG it lists for 19.95

I have never used anything other than a DMM to check for load, even then, never compared a "clamp on" type probe to a meter wired in series - wonder if anyone has done that. I always expected the series wired one to be more accurate. I only used the clamp on type to check loads on "show power" big dimming racks for theatrical lighting, generators, that sort of thing - usually a couple hundred amps, 3 phase AC. +/- 2 or 3 amps never really matered in those rigs.

I've used the kill a watt for 3 years now and love it. For less than $20, lets you know where you stand on all your circuits. Reads voltage, amps, watts, Hz, KWH, VA, PF and time connected. Works great.

Tom