Light-O-Rama Forums

Timing marks go blank in tracks--whiteout effect

Ed

Okay, I am working through two problems. The software version that I am using is 2.5.6, although I have had the same problems last year with an earlier version as well.

1.) First, I get an error box “Error Graphing Wave Form.” Inside the box it reads “Can’t create Auto Redraw Image”
a. That problem seems to be remedied by turning off the wave form option.

2.) The second problem is slightly more annoying. As I scroll down through the tracks, the timing marks are replaced in various tracks with nothing but a solid white area.
a. This problem only happens on my main (multi monitor setup) computer and not my LOR show computer. I also had this same problem happen last year on the same computer. My work around has been to program sequences on my LOR computer.

Any solutions would be helpful.

Ed

Ed, I've had those same issues since I first started sequencing with S2 when it was first released last year. I always figured it was a resource issue that was linked to the number of tracks. I, too, have found the only workaround is to turn off the waveform - at least until I get scrolled down to the track I'm programming. Makes it kind of cumbersome sometimes.

I program 300+ channels spread out over seventeen tracks. I sequence on an older PC with a 2.8 GHz Celeron brain and 512 MB RAM. So I doubled the RAM to 1 GIG, which is all my machine can swallow and it has made no difference. But I'm still reasonably certain it's a resource issue because a newer laptop I have doesn't have the problem.

Guess I wasn't very helpful. Sorry...

And I might not be that helpful either, but from what you said George. I would now question the ability of the video card in your older machine. I wonder George if you could find out how much video ram the two machines have. It might be that with so many tracks/channels that the video card does not have the resources?

Just a possibility of something to look at. I never would have thought about this being an issue till your post.

It is kind of the opposite for me. It is my new rig that is having problems.
1. XPpro 32bit with 4 gigs of ram (of course it only sees 2 gigs).
2. 2 GeForce 8800 GT with 512 MB of memory each.
3. Cpu is an Intel E7200.

At first I was thinking it was a conflict with a program running in background, like my dual monitor software. Unloading that software did not fix the problem. Also, I have done one or two clean install of the OS over the last year! Video and motherboard drivers are up to date too.

Like most of us at this time of the year it is crunch time for me, and I simply don't have two todays to spend trouble shooting this problem. Hopefully somebody has a fix.

Thanks for your input,

Ed

I don't know if this will help or not, but several people in the past have had luck troubleshooting strange display issues by changing the "Hardware Acceleration" setting on their video card.

I would suggest stopping the Sequence Editor, changing the setting to whatever it currently is not (i.e. off if it's on, on if it's off), and trying it again.

Thank God for that tip Bob!! That seems to work, at first I turned it completely off and now I am playing with the hardware acceleration by turning it down a little at a time. Just by sliding it down a bit, the waveform error disappeared, but not whiteout problem. At the moment it seems hardware acceleration must be completely turned off to avoid the whiteout problem. On a different note when the slider is all the way to the left the Nvidia control panel complains “The NVIDIA Display panel extension cannot created”
At least I have something to work with now.
Thanks
Ed

Okay so much for that idea. It seemed to work for a little bit. Now once again, no matter what position the slider is in it still has the same problem with the timing marks going into a whiteout mode.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Ed