Light-O-Rama Forums

amps on c7 and c9

Guest guest

how many amps are on 1 c7 and 1 c9 i cant seem to find any info on this

i have strings that have 25 light count i just dont know how many amps

are being used

Thanks

Personally, I highly recommend purchasing an Electric Clamp that measures amperage. Digital clamps run $50-$75, very cheap compared the consequences of heating up wires or constantly tripping breakers.

Theory, tables and help are all nice, however there is nothing better than the EXACT amperage of YOUR lights. Digital clamps are especially easy to use and are straight forward.

ggregzim wrote:

Personally, I highly recommend purchasing an Electric Clamp that measures amperage. Digital clamps run $50-$75, very cheap compared the consequences of heating up wires or constantly tripping breakers.

Theory, tables and help are all nice, however there is nothing better than the EXACT amperage of YOUR lights. Digital clamps are especially easy to use and are straight forward.

If you do get a clamp meter you will also need an adapter that you can loop the clamp through. The clamp has to go around only ONE conductor of the cable. They sell little plugs adapters a hole in it with each conductor on each side. I just made one out of spare parts around the house.

I use a clamp meter also. I took a good 6-foot extension chord and very carefully separated the two conductors about in the middle of the chord for about 6 inches (enough to easily clamp around one. Very easy. I also have some panel meters that I’ve rigged up for measurement. Unfortunately, you need to have a good “guesstimate” of the measured amps will be because they have fixed ranges. I have ones with ranges of 0-1, 0-3, and 0-20. Since a string of c-7 or c-9’s will probably be 1-2 amps, I’d use my 0-3 range to measure.

You can also make a similar rig with a digital-auto ranging meter that you can pickup at Sears for about $10 on sale. Unfortunate, these meters are not designed to measure current for a long period of time, so you would need to connect, measure, and disconnect.

Ralph

i have a greenlee clamp on meter that does 0-600a with no range settings you just turn it to amps and go for it its also a volt meter for when i need that
it is easily the most important tool i have for setting up my lights