Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Halloween Nightmare

JoelSturman

Blew 2 fuses in my Light-O-Rama tonight. Moved them onto a spare controller and blew another fuse. It was my worst nightmare - and all right on Halloween. An LED bulb BURNED black and melted a light socket. One Controller is not responding!. All in all a pretty bad night for me, but Happy Halloween everyone!

Sorry about your Halloween show. Hate to hear stories like that.

I hope if you are planning Christmas it works out better.

I keep some extra fuses but have never needed any so far.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

I keep some extra fuses but have never needed any so far.

What kind and where do you get extra fuses? Can these be obtained from a local store (Lowes, HD) or only from LOR? Specifically, I have CTB16PC controllers. Can anybody comment on this or direct me to a post that discusses this?

Joel, sorry to hear about your rough night, but without this post not sure that I would have considered having backup fuses on hand--so thanks for posting.

Mine are purchased from LOR. Replacing one should be done after a review to see if there is a short or something drawing too much current. Poor Joel got a double whammy with a non-obvious short and the pressure of THE big night show. I wish I had a spare controller.

Joel if you figure out what caused the LED to short it might be helpful for others to avoid this snag. Repeating Brian's question.

Radio shack carries the fuses, just bring them an old one and they can hook you up.

Something we do to help out, is to tape 2 extra fuses to the inside of every box. it makes it easier to find them later

bob

Thanks for the comments everyone. I stopped by a local electronics place and gotted ripped off at $2.00 a fuse. I wanted them fast, but it is not in my blood to survive another "You got questions, we got idiots" visit (Radio Shark).

Those of you looking for fuses, check out the accessories page here, that looks to be a great deal (12 fuses for $4.99):
http://store.lightorama.com/12pafu15afaa.html

Here is the update:
I will probably never know what caused the LED flood to burn up. It was a minions web 36 LED Red. I had it in a lawn stake and protected them VERY well from humidity. I even checked them daily. The bottom of the bulb is so burned I could not find the metal without scraping all the carbon off. I want to send it back as is.

After replacing my fuses, both LOR units are working fine. HUGE relief there. Christmas is back on schedule!

Here is the solution to my next problem!:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum55/20137.html

I had one additional failure that I just now figured out. Occasionally, I would go out and the show was repeating the same song (There was three in the show). If I restarted it, the show would play through and later I caught it repeating the first song in the show again. The show box is running Ver 2.4.8. Then I found out as I was typing this and looking at versions that this was fixed in 2.5.6 released Oct 26th.

Now I will send an enhancement request for email notification if the units loose power or if the PC looses connectivity to the units.

JoelSturman wrote:

I will probably never know what caused the LED flood to burn up.  It was a minions web 36 LED Red.  I had it in a lawn stake and protected them VERY well from humidity.  I even checked them daily.  The bottom of the bulb is so burned I could not find the metal without scraping all the carbon off.  I want to send it back as is. 

Oh I didn't know it was a flood. I have several of those too. I think Corey will be interested in seeing it. Thanks for the update.