Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 7

cenote

Thought I would post here asking what peoples feelings are about jumping onto Windows 7. Figured most users on here are pretty computer savvy, and seem to reply a lot quicker than other sites.

Just spent 8-10 hrs formatting hard drives (Had to reset my arrays of Raids) and reloading Vista. Wondering if I am wasting time, and should just go out today and buy win 7. Have heard only good about it so far, can't believe there isn't any problems yet? I tried the Beta Version this spring, and had a lot of problems with drivers. But that was also on a older machine.

Thanks, Chuck

Both my wife and I currently run Windows 7 on various systems. We are early adopters. We also use Vista, XP, 2000, 2003, 2008, SuSe and RedHat.

Windows 7 in fact at the core is Windows Vista. They have streamlined the OS making it faster, maintained the security controls built into Vista but have made them less obtrusive to users in Windows 7.

Win 7 Pros:
- Faster, stable, new features.
- Setup was a breeze
- Has Windows XP mode which is a Virtual PC of Windows XP.
- No more classic mode for the control panel

Win 7 Cons:
- Not all drivers are available for legacy devices. For instance I could not install my broadband modem on Windows 7 and the Vista driver installer application refused to recognize Windows 7 to install it.
- Six, yes, 6 different versions. Startup, Home Basic(Available outside US only), Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate & Enterprise (Volume License), but basically you just need to know about Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate for the every day user.
- No more classic mode for the control panel
- Joining a domain requires Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise

I've been running LOR in Windows 7 and XP. I have not experienced any issues except for the hardware utility quitting, but I'm not certain it's a bug yet. The RS485 drivers installed with no problems and all the software seems to be working fine thus far.

There are lots of other pros and cons, but over all Windows 7 is a definate improvement in my opinion.

Regards,
Howard
(MCSE & Software Developer)

HowardShank wrote:

Regards,
Howard
What's this mean, not sure what you mean by a domain?

cenote wrote:

HowardShank wrote:

Regards,
Howard
What's this mean, not sure what you mean by a domain?

There are multiple types of network configurations, peer-to-peer, client/server, etc. A domain is utilized in client/server type of networks where there are domain servers, member servers and workstations, much like a business would run.

A peer-to-peer network is what most people at home would have configured. This is where you log into the local workstation and you setup shared directories and connect between the computers. Also known as Simple Sharing or Simple Networking. This is supported in all versions of Windows 7.

In larger networks, business or homes of geeks there may be a network domain controller that users authenticate to when they attempt to logon to a workstation. This type of networking in Windows 7 is only supported in Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.

Hope that helps.

Howard

My biggest complaint from vista and windows 7 is that I don't like the appearance. I think that Vista's appearance is gloomy and dark, and Windows 7's is just OK. I've been an XP user for forever, and I guess I'm just used to it.

How is it gloomy and dark? You can change the colors, themes, etc. to be anything you'd like it to be.

my next comp is gonna be a MAC...hopefully LOR makes things compatible with MAC by then

just got a new comp...$1000 and 2 months in and already having issues with it...getting tired of windows