Light-O-Rama Forums

usb

derylreed

The RS-485 that goes to the controllers is not compatible with any of your typical PC ports. You need to use either one of the LOR USB-485 adapters, or SC-485 (serial) adapters to connect to the controllers. Currently, the USB adapters are working quite well, and don't have to be within 100 feet of the first LOR controller (required on the SC-485, as it is powered by the 1st controller)

As long as everything is fully USB compliant, there should not be any issues. There are limits on how long USB cables can be, and if you are using some kind of USB encapsulation device for longer range, there may be issues with buffering and delay.

derylreed wrote:

And what are you wanting to connect that to? As far as I know, nothing LOR sells uses that style of cable.

Don wrote:

derylreed wrote:

And what are you wanting to connect that to? As far as I know, nothing LOR sells uses that style of cable.

The USB485B does use that cable to connect to it.

lonewolvie wrote:

The USB485B does use that cable to connect to it.

Duh, Don. You knew that.self> Sometimes I don't think straight. Forgot about that. (Nevermind I moved ymy 485B today. Sheesh.)

Though, I get the feeling he's trying to connect this to something else.

Are you trying to connect some sort of non-LOR USB board to the LOR software? If so, I'm pretty sure you can't do that. The only exception would be if it somehow faked out the system so LOR could treat it as one of the supported DIO cards...

-Tim