Light-O-Rama Forums

What will happen?

George Simmons

I'm still not one with the show scheduler and I'd appreciate it if someone who IS one with it could help me out a little.

My shows have only musical sequences - nothing in any other tabs in the show editor. What will happen out in the yard if I schedule one show to end at 9:59:59 PM and another show to begin at 10:00:01 PM?

Thanks.

My understanding is when the shows hits 9:59:59 it will finish the song it is currently playing and then start the new show. So if the song just started and is 3 minutes long, it will be 10:02 before the new show starts.
The more seasoned here will correct me if I am wrong.

jerryb721 wrote:

My understanding is when the shows hits 9:59:59 it will finish the song it is currently playing and then start the new show. So if the song just started and is 3 minutes long, it will be 10:02 before the new show starts.
The more seasoned here will correct me if I am wrong.

I am 99.9% sure that you are 100% correct.

Tim

Tim Herberger wrote:

I am 99.9% sure that you are 100% correct.

So what you are saying is there is a chance I am wrong. LOL

(sorry I couldn't resist):D

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Now that I've had a year's experience and figured out a lot more I was hoping/thinking that's the way it would behave. Last year I was confused and mostly lost with all the start up and shut down and clean up and wipe up and dummy down tabs on the show editor. (I'm still not sure I understand them.) But I wanted a particular song to close the show each night at a specific time and never did figure out how to do it. I wish I had seen back then how simple it was...

I wanted a particular song to close the show each night at a specific time and never did figure out how to do it.

If you want to guarantee that a particular song closes the show, you should probably put that song as the last sequence in your Shutdown section.

When the scheduled end of the show comes, it will:

(1) Finish whatever sequence from the Musical section is currently playing, and then:

(2) Play the sequences from the Shutdown section, one at a time, in order.

Bob's method should be more reliable.

Using back to back shows, you have to be sure that your second show is both longer than any sequence in the first show, and scheduled to run longer than the longest song in the first show, but also scheduled for less time than the length of the second show. Otherwise there are risks of the second show not playing, or playing more than once.

Okay, now I'm confused again. As it happens, the sequence I want to use to close each night's performance is the single longest sequence I have. But what difference would that make? Let's say that my nightly schedule is as follows:

First show runs from 5:30 until 9:00. Second show runs from 9:00:01 until 9:59:59. Third show runs from 10:00:01 until say 10:05. Wouldn't the first show run until the sequence playing at the end time concludes? And then, wouldn't the second show commence immediately after and run until the sequence playing at the end time concludes? And then wouldn't the third show run and play the sequence once (It's over six minutes) and then shut down for the night?

If current sequence in the second show runs past the scheduled window for the third show, that third show will not run, as the control panel was never idle during that window. It will come out of that second show, look at the clock, and look for what is scheduled now, and ignore anything that may have been scheduled between what just ended, and now..

For example, if the longest sequence in the second show is 6 minutes, there is a chance that it could start within the last minute of the show 2 schedule time. Then it would end after the show 3 schedule is over..

One could offset this by making the show 3 schedule 7 minutes long, but if the show 3 sequence is only 6 minutes long, there is a risk that the show 3 sequence could get played twice.