Light-O-Rama Forums

Short Extension Cords for Controllers

jim6918

I have five controllers mounted in a rain tite outdoor deck box, situated right next to a dedicated 100 amp subpanel and receptacles (5X20amp). Of course, as luck would have it, the AC cord for the furthest controller in the box is about a foot or so short from reaching the receptacles. I considered buying a couple of 14/3 AWG extension cords, cutting to length, and soldering on connectors to replace the stock ones. I have also considered a couple of short appliance type extension cords, or even a higher end plug strip for each AC cord. The recptacle end of the plug strip would be inside the box, out of the weather. Since I would have to remove the controller to get at the AC cords, that really isn't at the top of my list, even though it probably would be the cleanest install. I am running the dual AC inputs however, none of my controllers pull more that 15 -17 amps total.

Anybody know of a source for short extension cords?

Appliance extension cords would work fine. They are typically 14/3 which would give you 15amps/cord. It might be cheaper to just buy a 14/3 extension and split in half with new ends, but you got to factor in your time and effort.

I use a 14/3 Triple Tap cord like the link below. Lowe's had them in 8' and 15' lengths last year.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=170224-57775-82965&lpage=none

Like you, I don't run my controllers anywhere near the rated current. I'm seriously considering converting my 1602's to 1600's (single input cord) to make it easier to power them up.

I would try a computer surplus store for old power cords. Cut the ends off and make to length. They should only be a couple of bucks a piece.

Dave Batzdorf wrote:

I would try a computer surplus store for old power cords.  Cut the ends off and make to length.  They should only be a couple of bucks a piece.

Power cords for most computers are 18 gauge. Too small to use as input cords.