Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 Basic

Denny

My granddaughter attends a small high school here in Arizona. They have a good music program in the school and the way the economy and everything is, their budget is restricted. The entire music program is handled by one instructor; he is the marching band director, orchestra director, percussion instructor, beginning band instructor, and even chorus. I have been helping them out as much as possible by transporting their equipment so they don't have the expense of renting a truck. This past Saturday, I spent 12 hours with them at a regional competition in Phoenix. Watching all the bands compete, I was struck by one thing in particular about all the kids in all the competing bands. Regardless of who was performing, the kids in ALL the other bands cheered for and encouraged the other bands. I have never witnessed anything like it. For example, if a musician played a particularly difficult solo or another band completed a difficult marching maneuver, ALL the kids went crazy. Anyway, I decided that my granddaughter's school music program can make better use of all my DMX equipment the year round than I can justify for only a few weeks at Christmas. So, they are getting the portable truss, all my moving yolks, lasers, fog machine, iDMX 1000 and probably a couple LOR controllers to use as dimmer packs for their concerts. Since the only way I have to control all this is with the iDMX, my question for someone with DMX knowledge, if I buy a copy of the S2 Basic software, can they use the hardware utility to control the equipment for their concerts with that version? I know the Basic version is limited in the number of channels that can be controlled, but is their a limit on the DMX fixtures controlled by the iDMX1000? Also, how does the Basic version handle the LOR controllers when they are used in the DMX mode? I would donate one of my seats to them to use, but I think that would be a violation of the LOR use agreement. Would I be better off just trying to find some type of DMX controller for them to use, and if so, could the LOR controllers still be used in DMX mode with such a controller? Any advice desperately needed! Oh yes, this is only the second year that this music director has been at the school. Last year, the band received a Superior rating (only better rating is Superior with Distinction). At the end of last school year, they were invited to compete at Disneyland where they took Silver.

That's great news about the kids. If your LOR boxes are used in DMX mode then they will function fine with any DMX console or device, You will lose all special effects (shimmer, twinkle) They become regular dimmer boxes.

Denny

The basic software only allows 32 channels to be controlled

I am not sure --- but I think that is thru the sequence editor ----

Every time you want to change a fixture position (my moving spots utilize 13 channels) using the hardware utility you will have to change the address in the select unit id section of the console. That seems to be tedious at best. Let the young minds program sequences.

Buy the advanced version and turn the sequencing over to the techies in the band to sequence to their music. Help them with the configuration of dmx address to LOR addressing.

What a great way to utilize your equipment.

Just maybe you will get some unique Christmas songs programmed.

Frank A.

For this application, I would think the better solution would be using hardware/software designed for dmx operation. There are dozens of DMX consoles that can be purchased for little money. There is a free software solution, freestyle, that could be used (you still need the dmx dongle, open source has one for under $100). It would be far easier to program some light sequences and control them with a touch of a button.

Great gesture by the way.

The big problem with doing a sequence during concerts is that the performances are live. I don't think a pre-programmed sequence could work very well. It would work for performances by the auxillary (honor/color guard) as their shows are done to recorded music during the concert season. But for band, orchestra, or chorus I don't think it would work well. I think the best thing would be to get some sort of regular dmx controller, as long as it can use the LOR cards as dimmers so they can control PAR cans, as well as the intelligent fixtures. If I understand Donald correctly, the LOR cards will work as dimmers without the LOR software.

On the downside of using a regular dmx controller, I was going to include the EZ Linkers to make set-up a little easier for them, but don't think they willl work without running through the LOR software. On the plus side though, they wouldn't be limited to the 256 channels of the iDMX1000, but would have access to 512 channels. Guess I could sell the iDMX1000 and EZ linkers and take that money and buy them a regular DMX controller though. Food for thought.

Keep the suggestions coming though. My only knowledge of DMX is use through the LOR software.

Have been getting a few messages wanting to know if I am giving up on decorating. The answer is a definite NO, but I have decided to scale back. I think I have around 18 controllers including the CMB16D units and not including any DMX. My body is telling me that it is time to slow down, so I plan to scale back to about 64 channels or so. As you all know, it's a lot of work setting up and tearing down by yourself and after a couple heart attacks, my wife is not too pleased with me crawling around on the roof :) or being outside in the heat so much; so, it's time to listen to my body and not my brain. Rather than sell the DMX equipment (all of which has never been used other than to check it out and make sure it worked), the school will get much more better use from it. I will still be active in the decorating, just taking a different approach.

I would keep the ez linkers for your display, DIYlightanimation has some nice wireless kits that can be built real cheap, that transmit DMX!. They also have a DMX dongle kit.; Then all you would need is the Freestyle software mention above. Save the IDMX so they can still use the LOR software.

Donald Puryear wrote:

I would keep the ez linkers for your display, DIYlightanimation has some nice wireless kits that can be built real cheap, that transmit DMX!. They also have a DMX dongle kit.; Then all you would need is the Freestyle software mention above. Save the IDMX so they can still use the LOR software.

After a little research, I decided to get them a regular DMX controller. I don't really need the EZ linker for my display -- I only used it last year to control my train. So, if anyone out there is interested in purchasing a pair of EZ linkers, I will sell them for $200, shipping via USPS priority mail in the states included. I will then use that money to purchase the DMX controller. E-mail me at circus4u at msn.com if interested.

Haven't decided on the iDMX 1000 yet. I will check with the director and see if they would have any use for it. If so, I will give it to them and then buy the LOR software to go with it. Back to my original question though, does the LOR Basic software limitation of 32 channels include the DMX channels in the count or only channels used through the regular LOR boards? That is, will the Basic software permit the iDMX 1000 to control all 256 DMX channels?

My understanding is that basic is limited to controller ID 1 & 2. So you can run your two LOR boxes, but with the current firmware, I don't think you can even set a unit ID of 01, or 02 to the iDMX, so I don't believe you can use the iDMX with basic. Actually, with the current firmware, you may not be able to use it with anything less than Advanced.

Right now, I cant even guess what their plans are once the do the firmware upgrade.

-klb- wrote:

My understanding is that basic is limited to controller ID 1 & 2. So you can run your two LOR boxes, but with the current firmware, I don't think you can even set a unit ID of 01, or 02 to the iDMX, so I don't believe you can use the iDMX with basic. Actually, with the current firmware, you may not be able to use it with anything less than Advanced.

Right now, I cant even guess what their plans are once the do the firmware upgrade.

You bring up a good point there, but the comparison grid at http://store.lightorama.com/software1.html shows that dmx can be controlled in the basic version with the iDMX 1000. Anyone from LOR care to clarify?