Light-O-Rama Forums

Install on Windows 7 and a license

Ponddude

I updated to Windows 7, actually it is installing currently. Not concerned about LOR working with it, as I know it will. However, will I use another license for upgrading my operating system?

I suspect I will but is there a way around this? Especially because I am not getting a new computer, just an OS upgrade.

I'd just go ahead and install and not worry about.

Worrying about running out of licenses is the last thing a legitimate LOR user will need to worry about.

Don wrote:

Worrying about running out of licenses is the last thing a legitimate LOR user will need to worry about.

Frankly that is a horrible thing to say. I am not worried about me as I have an unlimited amount of installs because I am a beta tester, but the last time I checked this board was for people to get information about their products. People paid money for S2 and should have an answer from the company they purchased it from. Any "legitimate LOR user" would want to know the answer to this.

My apologies. I forget not everyone reads every thread. It is that time of year when information starts flowing fast and furious. Allow me to expand upon my original answer.

It's been mentioned that the upgrade might trigger the licensing cycle. Most of the time, though, it will see your original license information, and not take up a license seat.

See this post from Bob:

Oh, one other thing about reactivation, just to be clear:

Reactivating on a previously activated computer does not use up a license seat, so you don't have to worry about that.

Well, in some (hopefully rare) cases it might, but if you ever run into a problem where it says you have no more license seats, and you think you haven't used all of yours, just contact customer support, who will help you out.

As you can see, the legitimate LOR user will, in fact, not need to worry about running out of license seats.

[As an aside: a bit of clarification from LOR may be needed. According to the email I received, beta testers have unlimited upgrades, not unlimted license seats.]

Ponddude wrote:

Frankly that is a horrible thing to say. I am not worried about me as I have an unlimited amount of installs because I am a beta tester

Must be nice :P:):) LOL

Actually, as I understand it, and as mentioned in Don's post, the beta test crew doesn't get any different treatment on seats than anyone else, but I definitely have it on computers that I would not have installed it on, if I were not testing things.

• 11 months later...

is there a way to unlicence a copy of S2 I had installed on old PC's

I only have the software on 2 PC's but I had a couple hard drives die on me and i had to re install the software and i think i may be getting close to my 5 limit.

I was thinking of changing to a newer pc for my show but i don't know if i can.

Wayne wrote:

is there a way to unlicence a copy of S2 I had installed on old PC's

I only have the software on 2 PC's but I had a couple hard drives die on me and i had to re install the software and i think i may be getting close to my 5 limit.

I was thinking of changing to a newer pc for my show but i don't know if i can.

Wayne,

You will need to send an email to support@lightorama.com - There is not a way to clear your license seats without contacting them.

Guest wbottomley

Ponddude wrote:

Don wrote:

Frankly that is a horrible thing to say. I am not worried about me as I have an unlimited amount of installs because I am a beta tester, but the last time I checked this board was for people to get information about their products. People paid money for S2 and should have an answer from the company they purchased it from. Any "legitimate LOR user" would want to know the answer to this.

Greg... are we having a bad day?

OK, replying to a few different things from this thread:

(1) Don is correct that an OS upgrade will not necessarily cause another seat to be used, and we don't intend it to use another seat, but that it's possible it inadvertently will. If it does, you can contact support@lightorama.com about it, and they'll get it straightened out.

(2) Don is also correct that Beta Testers get unlimited upgrades, rather than unlimited seats. However, regarding -klb-'s point that he has installed it on machines for no real reason other than to test it on those machines: Any Beta Testers who do things like this, please contact support@lightorama.com, and we'll gladly add more seats for you to make up for it.

(3) Don is also correct that to "unlicense" a computer, you should contact support@lightorma.com.

After typing all of that, I now guess that I could have just generally said "Don is correct"!

• 3 weeks later...

I've got several computers at my house that have the software installed and I'm concerned because I would like to install it on a laptop and I would also like to replace one of my computers. I don't know why LOR is so concerned about the software when people have to purchase the LOR controller boxes to make all of this work in the first place. Just a guess, but I wouldn't think that they make their money on the software, they make their money on the controller boxes.

Amie wrote:

I've got several computers at my house that have the software installed and I'm concerned because I would like to install it on a laptop and I would also like to replace one of my computers.

As has been mentioned many times on this thread, and elsewhere, no legitimate LOR License holder should worry about running out of license seats. An email to support@lightorama.com will resolve the situation.